Java Moss Brown Meh Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Nickguy5467, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

as far as a beginner plant goes i must be less than beginner because even java moss is dying on me. i have it tied to drifttwood but instead of a health bright green its a dark green/brown, im bad at things >.>, i had read that it doesnt matter what light setting is. (im not exactly sure what my ligh lvl is) but i have the this planted LED 24/7 light and it was on its 24/7 ore max setting during the day in which i would turn off at night so im not sure if that had anything to do with it. for now i turned down the light intensity for a while see if that helps? also read that it can survive basically by itself along with the tank's nitrates to help it along. and to avoid ferts etc because algae will out eat it anyway. any tips on getting this moss healthy?

IMG_20190409_222839.jpg

it also has some white on it for some reason

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  2. ZniazValued MemberMember

Hey,
    I'm afraid that the moss isn't dying. If you look closely, the tips are green. This means it is still alive. The problem is that algae has covered it, and now it looks brown because algae is all over it. Algae is also all over the rock below (the grey one). You shouldn't have a light on 24/7, maybe turn it off before you go to bed and on again after you wake up. Really unfortunate i must say, but algae has won this battle. You have to buy some more java moss, as there is no way to get rid of the algae, although you could get algae removal solution.

So sorry about the algae, and you thought it was dead. It's fine though! At least you're not killing the plants you just had the light on for too long.

3. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

It was a day-night cycle 24/7 thing. I guess that is bad too if there aren't enough plants in there to absorb it.

4. ZniazValued MemberMember

Would you mind taking a picture of the full tank? Maybe also telling me the name of all the plants you have and all the fish and inverts? Maybe i can spot another issue here.

5. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

I can do that but I don't have any other plants in there just that Moss because it supposedly supposed to be easy and I've killed everything else. From this picture though which it was dark so I had to use a flash and looks weird but you can see all those smudges on my glasses suggest I have a big algae problem I guess. I've been using algae remover like every 3 days like It suggest but it doesn't really go away IMG_20190410_020840.jpg

6. ZniazValued MemberMember

You should use a sponge and just wipe the algae off.

7. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

Yeah comes back like the next couple days feels like I'm losing battle. Oh and as far as a fish go there's 4 albino Cory cats. One very old emerald cat. Two guppies. Two red wag platty.one sunset platty. Three white skirts. One black
    skirt. One spotted Molly I think. 1 thick-lipped gourami and one marble gourami. I forgot what it was called atm 1554888057591.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019