Java Moss And Subtrate

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by BuddyD, Apr 15, 2017.

1. BuddyD

BuddyDWell Known MemberMember

I plan on putting the ground cover Java Moss in my 30 gallon tank. Right now I have normal gravel. For Java Moss can I keep the gravel or should I switch to sand?

Also is it best to have a filter that's a little larger than my 30 gallon, say like a filter for a 50 gallon?

2. BluMan1914

BluMan1914Well Known MemberMember

Hello.
    I can't give you many suggestions about the Java Moss, but from what I have researched, they are a pretty easy growing plant, you can float, plant, or tie them down. I believe gravel should be fine.

As far as your tank size, I would go with a filter of a at least 275-300gph. With a canister filter you want about 5x turnover an hour, and with HOB you want at least 10x the turnover.
    Even though your filter is rated for a 50 gallon tank, once you put media in, the gph drops, and your filter is now only good for a 40 gallon tank(give or take).
    I have a 75 gallon tank that I am setting up. Today I just grabbed 3 Magnum 350 canister filters, each one has an out out of 350 gph. Once I put media in, I guess it will drop down to about 275 gph or so (just guesses). I will use two of them, each serving a different function, and this should put me at about 4-500 gph.
    Stating all that...my point being you can never have too much filtration, but you can have too much flow.

3. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

It doesn't matter if you have sand or gravel with Java moss. I leave mine free floating and it does grow quickly. I have to take out handfuls out of my tank each month! Very easy and no special lighting required ( I use a 25 watt CFL bulb )

Is your tank running already or were you asking for the future regarding a filter? Usually if you buy a kit ( all equipment together ) the hob filter is rarely enough filtration. You should have 8-10 times on the GPH. Do you already have a filter in mind or did you already purchase?

rcs 8-25-16.jpg

4. guppymutts

guppymuttsValued MemberMember

I grow java moss on sand and it works well. Personally, I prefer sand to gravel because I feel that it more versatile. Also I keep corydoras and they can injure themselves on gravel

5. OP
    OP
    BuddyD

My tank is already established, had it about 6 months. I read that a larger filter was better than the 30 gallon I have in a 30 gallon tank.
    FYI: I have a Clown Loach, Dojo Loach, Red fin black shark, Plecostomus, and Cichlids (No Pairs) only individual types and sizes. They don't seem to fight that way.

6. Junne

What type of filter is it? A Lot of the filters rated for 30 gallons does not have enough GPH. For Example, Aqueon makes a filter, Aqueon 30 thats rated for up to 55 gallons. It only has a GPH of 200 GPH which is a little shy of having 300 GPH. With the stock you have and the bioload, you are going to need at least 300 gph to sustain a good environment. I would even suggest going more, like 350 gpj to 400.

7. OP
    OP
    BuddyD

Funny you would say Aqueon cause that is what it is. Where would be a good place to purchase a 350 to 400 gph filter?

8. Junne

If you want to stay with AQUEON, they have one thats called a 55/75. I have 2 of those running in my 72 gallon. They are rated at 400 gph each and are very effective and one will work for your tank.
    As far as where to buy, most petsmart/petco have them, or Amazon.

9. OP
    OP
    BuddyD

Thanks

10. OP
    OP
    BuddyD

Can you put sand on top of the gravel or should the gravel be removed ? I'm lazy.

11. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

If you put sand on top it will eventually end up on the bottom think smaller size of granules. Get a good Canister filter spend around 200 dollars and you should be fine.
    BTW I hear ya on lazy, but this is not a hobby to be lazy with it, if you want success that is, it requires at a minimum about an hour a week. Add plants and it goes up. I say this from experience your mileage may vary.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice