20 Gallon Tank Java Moss and Java Fern questions

Aysu

This is my first time doing live plants in an aquarium, and everywhere says Java Fern and Java Moss are super easy. My tank is a little over 4 weeks old, with the plants being a few weeks in, and with a few Zebra Danios and Corydoras, the chemicals are fine (pH is about 7, nitrites and ammonia are 0, and nitrate is about 20mg/L), and I do a 20-25% water change each week. I have not been using any fertilizers of any sort, but I do have a substrate that came with a bunch of nutrients and bacteria already in it. The plants seem to be growing fine without any additional stuff added.

Recently, however, I’ve noticed what might be the starts of some kind of algae on the fern leaves, and the moss seems to be growing a white fuzz. After searching on google, I'm pretty sure the white fuzz is from the driftwood in the tank, and doesn’t seem to bother the moss, and the corys and danios seem to like nibbling on it, but I’ll post a couple pictures just in case. It doesn’t really bug me at all, but confirmation on what it is would be nice.

The thing I’m more worried about is the fine hairs just starting to grow on the fern. The plant came kinda ugly, with brown tips to the leaves and a few brown patches (I didn’t get a chance to see it before the employee wrapped it in paper), but it has been doing well and recently dropped a new plant. The hair things on the leaves are very new, and I want to know if it’s algae that is going to be a problem and I should do something about now, and if so, what should I do?

Also, for the brown tips on the java fern's leaves, should I trim the tips off to prevent them rotting and driving the ammonia up, or the entire leaves off, or just leave them? I’m not really sure how maintenance on plants work yet, and what is okay to do, and what will kill them.

Thank you for any help, and let me know if I need to post better pictures!

Attachments

AcornTheBetta

Aysu said:
This is my first time doing live plants in an aquarium, and everywhere says Java Fern and Java Moss are super easy. My tank is a little over 4 weeks old, with the plants being a few weeks in, and with a few Zebra Danios and Corydoras, the chemicals are fine (pH is about 7, nitrites and ammonia are 0, and nitrate is about 20mg/L), and I do a 20-25% water change each week. I have not been using any fertilizers of any sort, but I do have a substrate that came with a bunch of nutrients and bacteria already in it. The plants seem to be growing fine without any additional stuff added.

Recently, however, I’ve noticed what might be the starts of some kind of algae on the fern leaves, and the moss seems to be growing a white fuzz. After searching on google, I'm pretty sure the white fuzz is from the driftwood in the tank, and doesn’t seem to bother the moss, and the corys and danios seem to like nibbling on it, but I’ll post a couple pictures just in case. It doesn’t really bug me at all, but confirmation on what it is would be nice.

The thing I’m more worried about is the fine hairs just starting to grow on the fern. The plant came kinda ugly, with brown tips to the leaves and a few brown patches (I didn’t get a chance to see it before the employee wrapped it in paper), but it has been doing well and recently dropped a new plant. The hair things on the leaves are very new, and I want to know if it’s algae that is going to be a problem and I should do something about now, and if so, what should I do?

Also, for the brown tips on the java fern's leaves, should I trim the tips off to prevent them rotting and driving the ammonia up, or the entire leaves off, or just leave them? I’m not really sure how maintenance on plants work yet, and what is okay to do, and what will kill them.

Thank you for any help, and let me know if I need to post better pictures!
I think it maybe some sort of bacterial bloom. That normal happens in uncycled tanks tho... Hmm...

Here is a similar thread: White Fuzz On Plant? | 331862 | Aquarium Plants

Aysu

AcornTheBetta said:
I think it maybe some sort of bacterial bloom. That normal happens in uncycled tanks tho... Hmm...

Here is a similar thread: White Fuzz On Plant? | 331862 | Aquarium Plants
I don’t think the white fuzz is a bacteria bloom, or at least not one that’s a concern. It's only growing on the moss attached to the driftwood, and the driftwood itself, and a lot of places say that’s normal for driftwood.

I don’t know if it will help with the little hairs growing on the fern, but I think I will try reducing light to six hours like someone in that thread said. Thank you for sharing it!

Top Bottom