Java Loach Is Bleeding?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Harper North, May 19, 2019.

1. Harper North New Member Member

I recently noticed some red spots on the back of my Java Loach and also that it seemed like something had cut or nipped his tail. I have two Java Loaches and the other one seems to be fine. Does anyone know what is going on and what I can do to help him?

2. Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like an infection and a touch of finrot on the tail and dorsal fins. Any idea what the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are?

Also, how long are those loaches? They look pretty big but that might just be the pictures.

3. Harper North New Member Member

I just tested the water.
    The ph is 7.8
    Ammonia is 0 ppm
    Nitrite is 0 ppm
    Nitrate is about 2.0 ppm
    They are pretty big. About 6 inches.

4. Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

6in is way too big for the average java loach. Sounds like you have weather/dojo loaches. They are a cooler water species and get pretty large.

Either way, you might want to start doing daily 25-50% water changes. Hopefully some extra water changes can fix this after a few days, otherwise you may need to use an antibiotic.

5. Michael.j.gomez Valued Member Member

Hello, what are tankmates. I had a bristle nosed pleco(5"male) that was putting similar marks on my dojo loaches. Had to separate because he was ambushing them when light's out. Did 25% water changes every couple days cleared up in 2 wks. Hope this helps you!