Java Fernlets?

riptide904

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a sole Java Fern in my 10G which has been growing like crazy (Which is shocking to me, considering how basic the setup is, just gravel and built in tank light ) And I noticed one of the leaves had little baby ferns on it. My question is if there is any way for me to separate these to grow another plant in a different tank? How should I go about this?

Ziggi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I dont know if this is right or not, but I waited until I saw a healthy/significant root system from the baby ferns, then I gently pulled them off of the "mother plant" mine are attached to driftwood.
Good luck!

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just let mine fall off and do whatever they want. Most get eaten, some get stuck in the wood or root system of the mother plant and grow. If saved them all, my tanks would be entirely java and Windelov ferns LOL

Daac

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes just let them fall off... eventually the leaf of the mother plant will start dying and it will fall away from the big plant. Then you can take the baby plant off and move it wherever... you could probably remove it earlier but it may not grow as well.

Ziggi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I just let mine fall off and do whatever they want. Most get eaten, some get stuck in the wood or root system of the mother plant and grow. If saved them all, my tanks would be entirely java and Windelov ferns LOL
My filter loves making a meal out of them -_-;

Tonia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I leave mine on the main leaf.. eventually they fall off or sometimes, the leaf becomes laden with them and breaks off on it's own.. that's when I attempt to find a spot to plant the babies.

Most often, I notice them, then think they are gone only to find tiny baby javas all over the place when I'm cleaning the tank.

Best of luck with your java, it sounds very happy

riptide904

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The leaf appears to be dying, so maybe I can get them in a week or two. I have two other tanks I'd like to put java ferns in, but if I can get them for free from my own plant that'll be great! It's not on driftwood or anything, just a couple long roots weighed down by a pebble.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom