Java Fern

Thibault Drake

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I planted my tank a couple weeks ago and I noticed that all my plants except for the Java Fern are growing. I read that you should plant them on wood, but I planted mine in the substrate and I don’t really want to move them to the driftwood because the driftwood is in the very back of my tank. I have an inert substrate (play sand) and root tabs. I’m going to start using root tabs and another type of fertilizer (any suggestions would be appreciated). Anyways, how fast should the Java Fern grow?

Zigi Zig

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Java Fern roots shouldn't be bury in substrate, the fern absorbs nutrients, and the plant will grow slowly or die. Java fern's a sturdy plant, and it may survive for a few weeks in gravel or soil, but for the long-term, you should attach it to rock or wood.

OP
Thibault Drake

Thibault Drake

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ZigI Zig said:
Java Fern roots shouldn't be bury in substrate, the fern absorbs nutrients, and the plant will grow slowly or die. Java fern's a sturdy plant, and it may survive for a few weeks in gravel or soil, but for the long-term, you should attach it to rock or wood.
Ok, thanks!

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
ZigI Zig said:
The brown roots are perfectly fine to bury, it's the rhizome that shouldn't be buried. As long as the rhizome is exposed, it's fine to plant in substrate.

Jack B Nimble

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My java grows well it's just everything else I can't !

Mike406

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thibault Drake said:
I planted my tank a couple weeks ago and I noticed that all my plants except for the Java Fern are growing. I read that you should plant them on wood, but I planted mine in the substrate and I don’t really want to move them to the driftwood because the driftwood is in the very back of my tank. I have an inert substrate (play sand) and root tabs. I’m going to start using root tabs and another type of fertilizer (any suggestions would be appreciated). Anyways, how fast should the Java Fern grow?
Planting rhizome plants like Java fern and anubias in the substrate usually causes them to rot and die due to lack of waterflow that provides oxygen to the exposed roots when mounted on driftwood or rock

New Threads