Java Fern, Scratching Rhizome To Make Bushy?

ostadsiah

Hey!
I read to have a bushy Anubias, we can cut its rhizome a little (like half way) and it'll grow leaves from there.
I was wondering if the same thing can happen for java fern?

Or if it's a myth all together?

Wraithen

It should help. Scratching the rhizome should encourage growth in the scratched part. Notice my use of the word should.

ostadsiah

It should help. Scratching the rhizome should encourage growth in the scratched part. Notice my use of the word should.

So you've personally never tried it or seen anyone try it? On any plant?

Wraithen

I've seen it done by various youtubers, and the science supports it. I have faith in it but I've never done it, and likely never will. I already have bushy anubias, crypts, and java ferns. If you want a bushy windolov then good luck. Mine got huge and when I went to move it, it had separated itself 6 times so I had 6 different plants, and that's after I almost killed it initially (by leaving it on the counter for like 4 hours) and it sent tons of babies everywhere.

You are very unlikely to kill a java fern just by scratching the rhizome. I say give it a go and see what happens. Maybe don't do it with a rare plant just in case it somehow develops rot like anubias can seemingly at will, but there's not a good reason for anything to go seriously wrong as long as it's just a scratch like corvus oscen has done on his channel.

I would do it right now just to see for you except for 2 things, 1. I just got done mixing up a solution for recharging my purigen so bleach on hands, and 2. I don't want to try to get my java ferns reattached to where they are. Took me a while to get them to grab onto where they are now in dragon stone and wood crevices.

SeattleRoy what do you think?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Teahaus
Replies
Views
r_e_g
  • Question
Replies
Views
julien0101