Java Fern Rhizome

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Crispii, Apr 17, 2018.

1. C

Crispii New Member Member

Does anyone know whether or not java fern rhizome need light? I've been hearing different answers about lighting and rhizome. Some people say they do and some say do not.

2. aniroc

aniroc Well Known Member Member

I grow my Java fern in a clump. There is hardly any direct light on every rhizome but none are under the substrate. The rhizome is green, it has chlorophyll, it means needs light.

3. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

All I know is that you aren't support to plant the rhizome.

4. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

All my Java fern is attached to wood with super glue, the fine roots grow long and go into the sand, it does not get a lot of light.

5. OP
    OP
    C

Crispii New Member Member

Thank you for the responses! I have java ferns wedged into a tree decoration and the light barely penetrates the rhizomes. As for applying super glue into the decor, I tried that, but the plant would come off if I move the decor. And tying it would be a pain for me.

6. SarahOfTheSevenSeas

SarahOfTheSevenSeas New Member Member

I have some baby rhizomes near the light on the underside of mother leafs, as well as some windelov rhizomes in shaded areas... They both seem to be growing at the same rate, though im comparing baby rhizomes to more developed ones (not sure how they compare).... But they are both showing growth, so I guess it doesn't matter?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice