Java Fern Question

Annextank

Reaction score
image.jpg
Evening everyone,

I have had this Java Fern for a month or so and I am aware it isn’t healthy as when I first got it I buried it like normal plants as I was unaware it needs to latch onto something to grow.

My questions are, what are the fungus like things growing off the plant? And what are the chances of this plant living?

(Sorry for bad photos)

Cheers guys!

Attachments

CameronsBettas

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Just looks like algae to me. (picture isn't clear enough to be sure)

OP
Annextank

Annextank

Reaction score
MidnightBettas said:
Just looks like algae to me. (picture isn't clear enough to be sure)
Wow that's interesting never seen algae like that. It looks like small roots with tiny hairs on them. Is it bad?

OP
Annextank

Annextank

Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
That's a birth of a new young javafern plantlet.
Wow really? So the plant is doing ok even though the leafs look battered??

MidnightBettas said:
Is it anywhere else like on the glass or another plant?
Nope just the Java

OP
Annextank

Annextank

Reaction score
MidnightBettas said:
Wait are you guys refering to the new green leaves?
No we’re talking about the weird hair/root things (sorry I’m undereducated)

DoubleDutch said:
These plants grow plantlets at the leafedges. Don't know if that means the plant is ok, but it is not algae or a disease or something.
Brilliant, that’s great cheers for the info

midna

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
the leaves of java ferns tend to produce babies if they're old and a bit worse for wear. it's how the plant reproduces. you can pinch them off and attach them to something once they're big enough

OP
Annextank

Annextank

Reaction score
midna said:
the leaves of java ferns tend to produce babies if they're old and a bit worse for wear. it's how the plant reproduces. you can pinch them off and attach them to something once they're big enough
That’s awesome thanks for the info, if I leave the plant attached to that wood and use fertiliser twice a week does it look like it would get better?

midna

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
from the photos your plant looks pretty good to me. the damaged/raggedy leaves won't heal though, but they'll keep producing baby plants. it's the plant's way for compensating. so if you think the leaves look unsightly then you can just remove them and encourage new leaf growth from the plant (not new baby plants but new leaves).

OP
Annextank

Annextank

Reaction score
midna said:
from the photos your plant looks pretty good to me. the damaged/raggedy leaves won't heal though, but they'll keep producing baby plants. it's the plant's way for compensating. so if you think the leaves look unsightly then you can just remove them and encourage new leaf growth from the plant (not new baby plants but new leaves).
That sounds good, how low down should I cut the leaves?

midna

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
you'll need to cut them all the way down to the rhizome. basically just remove the whole leaf

OP
Annextank

Annextank

Reaction score
midna said:
you'll need to cut them all the way down to the rhizome. basically just remove the whole leaf
Wow right ok, will that damage the plant if I do it to most of the plant???

midna

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
it shouldn't. like I said, it encourages new leaves to pop up. but java ferns are extremely slow growers, so it'll take a while for new leaves to grow. also I think your java fern looks pretty good. great, actually. I only remove mine if they're absolutely covered in black and brown spots and turn a pale yellow.

here's one of my java ferns. i'm not even going to bother removing leaves until they look like they're dying.

20190411_154959.jpg

OP
Annextank

Annextank

Reaction score
midna said:
it shouldn't. like I said, it encourages new leaves to pop up. but java ferns are extremely slow growers, so it'll take a while for new leaves to grow. also I think your java fern looks pretty good. great, actually. I only remove mine if they're absolutely covered in black and brown spots and turn a pale yellow.

here's one of my java ferns. i'm not even going to bother removing leaves until they look like they're dying.

20190411_154959.jpg
Oh right ok that’s cool cheers. I thought my fern looked unhealthy as I buried its root things for a month about sad I didn’t know they had to grab onto something

Mike406

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Annextank said:
image.jpg
Evening everyone,

I have had this Java Fern for a month or so and I am aware it isn’t healthy as when I first got it I buried it like normal plants as I was unaware it needs to latch onto something to grow.

My questions are, what are the fungus like things growing off the plant? And what are the chances of this plant living?

(Sorry for bad photos)

Cheers guys!

New Threads