Java Fern Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Annextank, Apr 10, 2019.

1. AnnextankValued MemberMember

image.jpg Evening everyone,

I have had this Java Fern for a month or so and I am aware it isn’t healthy as when I first got it I buried it like normal plants as I was unaware it needs to latch onto something to grow.

My questions are, what are the fungus like things growing off the plant? And what are the chances of this plant living?

(Sorry for bad photos)

Cheers guys!

Attached Files:

2. KoiBettasValued MemberMember

Just looks like algae to me. (picture isn't clear enough to be sure)

3. AnnextankValued MemberMember

Wow thats interesting never seen algae like that. It looks like small roots with tiny hairs on them. Is it bad?

4. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

That's a birth of a new young javafern plantlet.

5. KoiBettasValued MemberMember

Is it anywhere else like on the glass or another plant?

6. AnnextankValued MemberMember

Wow really? So the plant is doing ok even though the leafs look battered??

Nope just the Java

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2019
  7. KoiBettasValued MemberMember

Wait are you guys refering to the new green leaves?

8. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

These plants grow plantlets at the leafedges. Don't know if that means the plant is ok, but it is not algae or a disease or something.

9. AnnextankValued MemberMember

No we’re talking about the wierd hair/root things (sorry I’m undereducated)

Brilliant, that’s great cheers for the info

10. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

The brownish stuf are the roots of the plantlet.

11. AnnextankValued MemberMember

Awesome, cheers pal

12. midnaWell Known MemberMember

the leaves of java ferns tend to produce babies if they're old and a bit worse for wear. it's how the plant reproduces. you can pinch them off and attach them to something once they're big enough

13. AnnextankValued MemberMember

That’s awesome thanks for the info, if I leave the plant attached to that wood and use fertiliser twice a week does it look like it would get better?

14. midnaWell Known MemberMember

from the photos your plant looks pretty good to me. the damaged/raggedy leaves won't heal though, but they'll keep producing baby plants. it's the plant's way for compensating. so if you think the leaves look unsightly then you can just remove them and encourage new leaf growth from the plant (not new baby plants but new leaves).

15. AnnextankValued MemberMember

That sounds good, how low down should I cut the leaves?

16. midnaWell Known MemberMember

you'll need to cut them all the way down to the rhizome. basically just remove the whole leaf

17. AnnextankValued MemberMember

Wow right ok, will that damage the plant if I do it to most of the plant???

18. midnaWell Known MemberMember

it shouldn't. like i said, it encourages new leaves to pop up. but java ferns are extremely slow growers, so it'll take a while for new leaves to grow. also i think your java fern looks pretty good. great, actually. i only remove mine if they're absolutely covered in black and brown spots and turn a pale yellow.

here's one of my java ferns. i'm not even going to bother removing leaves until they look like they're dying.

20190411_154959.jpg

19. AnnextankValued MemberMember

Oh right ok that’s cool cheers. I thought my fern looked unhealthy as I buried its root things for a month about sad I didn’t know they had to grab onto something

20. Mike406New MemberMember