Java Fern Question - Will Rhizomes Grow?

WadeEH

I decided to try switching my tank over to live plants two weeks ago. The two plants I got then are doing well, so I decided to add some more. Today I bought some java fern and after taking the rubber band off I found that there were four separate plants. I attached the plants to rocks and placed them in the aquariums and that seemed to go well. There were also two pieces of rhizome about an inch long with small roots but no leaves. Is it possible for these to grow and sprout leaves if I attached them to rocks in the aquarium? Thanks in advance.

Bryangar

Yup, it’ll take a while, but it should grow back as long as they’re still green.

WadeEH

Yup, it’ll take a while, but it should grow back as long as they’re still green.
Thanks bryangar. They are still very green. I'll give it a try.

Beaurgard

Yeah, it'll take time depending on your lighting. Get some seachem Flourish/excel and dose a little bit to make it faster. If you want to, otherwise it'll just have to wait. my estimate would be 2 weeks to a month in low light enivorment. Good luck.

WadeEH

Yeah, it'll take time depending on your lighting. Get some seachem Flourish/excel and dose a little bit to make it faster. If you want to, otherwise it'll just have to wait. my estimate would be 2 weeks to a month in low light enivorment. Good luck.
Funny that you recommended Flourish. I picked up some of that today too.

Beaurgard

Funny that you recommended Flourish. I picked up some of that today too.

The seachem products are great alternative to Co2/fert tabs. I personally have tried both and unless you are trying to grow Val/Larger swords, I wouldn't go that extra mile. A lot of people will you tell you different but I've tried both and the results were pretty similar. Maybe leaning towards some towards the actual Co2/fert tabs but not enough to warrant the expense/trouble of messing with it. Try the Excel, really gives your plants some extra growth. However, when I began using this product I neglected to really use the flourish. What happened was that the plants didn't grow correctly because (while they grew faster) they didn't have the nutrition they needed to grow strong. Resulting growth was not good. Had weak stems and more narrow leave shapes. Anyway, I highly recommend the seachem product, I don't know what you might have paid for them but the individual bottles run right at 8 dollars to pick up at the local Petco. I'd recommend This 3 pack ost me quite a bit less and included the iron which has made my ozelot get beautiful pigment spots (sorry if the link violates some rule) still relatively new.) Best part about seachem fertilizers and such I its' very hard to overdose the tank and shrimp/snails are safe.
Alright, I hope you benefit from my rants. There are other Seachem products but I haven't messed with them yet. the first 3 have been enough so far and has allowed me to grow Ozelot swords in a low light set up.

WadeEH

The seachem products are great alternative to Co2/fert tabs. I personally have tried both and unless you are trying to grow Val/Larger swords, I wouldn't go that extra mile. A lot of people will you tell you different but I've tried both and the results were pretty similar. Maybe leaning towards some towards the actual Co2/fert tabs but not enough to warrant the expense/trouble of messing with it. Try the Excel, really gives your plants some extra growth. However, when I began using this product I neglected to really use the flourish. What happened was that the plants didn't grow correctly because (while they grew faster) they didn't have the nutrition they needed to grow strong. Resulting growth was not good. Had weak stems and more narrow leave shapes. Anyway, I highly recommend the seachem product, I don't know what you might have paid for them but the individual bottles run right at 8 dollars to pick up at the local Petco. I'd recommend This 3 pack ost me quite a bit less and included the iron which has made my ozelot get beautiful pigment spots (sorry if the link violates some rule) still relatively new.) Best part about seachem fertilizers and such I its' very hard to overdose the tank and shrimp/snails are safe.
Alright, I hope you benefit from my rants. There are other Seachem products but I haven't messed with them yet. the first 3 have been enough so far and has allowed me to grow Ozelot swords in a low light set up.
Thanks for all the info. I am just learning about all the ferts and additives for plants. I got the regular Flourish today in a 500ml bottle for $10.

Beaurgard

see, that's so much when u can get 3 bottles for like 12.

Beaurgard

and np, I can go on a crazy long rant sometimes lol.

WadeEH

and np, I can go on a crazy long rant sometimes lol.
It's cool. I appreciate the help. I am really getting excited about having live plants. I hope I can keep them alive. I have had fish for 27 years and am just now trying live plants for the first time.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
shrimpscaper
  • Question
Replies
Views
John58ford
Replies
Views
Teahaus
Replies