Java Fern Problems

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by happyfins14, Jul 31, 2015.

1. h

happyfins14 Valued Member Member

So I just got some plants from Petco that I've been wanting for a while now. I got a water wisteria, a java fern, and an anubias. I also got a lava rock.

I went home and started setting everything up. I just got a 5 gallon for my betta, since I have two that live in a divided 5 and I wanted them to have more space.

I planted the wisteria and tied the anubias to the rock no problem. But the java fern was a different story. It turned out there were two small ones instead of one medium, which I was happy about. Then I realized the base of each plant was wrapped with black thread. I cut it off one, and when I unraveled it, the plant just fell apart into a bunch of leaves. I wrapped more thread around it and tied it to the rock, and left the thread on the other one.

So what happened? Did I accidentally cut up the base while cutting off the thread? Should I just leave it on both of them? If I do they won't be able to grow on the rock, right? Is there any way to save the one that fell apart? Will the leaves slowly grow into a new plant or just die? Is it possible for them to kinda grow back together if I keep them tied together?

I'd appreciate any help. I really want to save them because they were the plant I was most excited about.

Luckily the wisteria and anubias look beautiful :D

EDIT: Thanks for suggestions guys I'm glad I rewrapped it in thread. I guess I'll just leave it in the tank and hopefully new roots will grow out :) Thanks again without you I probably just would've thrown it away :(

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  2. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

If you just try to wrap up as much of it with thread, and then attach it to the rock, it should start to behave itself. The loose leaves will eventually grow baby clones too.

3. OP
    OP
    h

Okay thanks:) When you say wrap as much of it with thread do you mean the bottom and also should I leave some of the plant poking out of the bottom so it can attach to the rock?

4. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

It should send out grasping type roots from the leaf/stem/ so eventually it will look like a java fern bouquet. Let broken/torn/black leafs float,. and they will put out babies/clones.

5. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

The thread is meant to stay on, at least I have never removed mine, the plant just grows over and around it over time. I have found that using super glue gel and attaching the bottom of the rhizone of java ferns and anubias to small flat rocks is the easiest way to take care of them. Plain old super glue gel is safe for aquariums once its dried. You can cure it in about 5 minutes by taking it once its just set and immersing it in a bowl of water for 5 minutes.

6. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

CindiL - interesting suggestion. I have not thought about gluing before. Javas can be a pain to tie down.

7. OP
    OP
    h

I know it took me like half an hour for each of them!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice