Help Java Fern No New Leaves

OP
ponitboss

ponitboss

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Are you adding the root tabs for another type of plant? The Java fern and Anubis will most likely not really benefit from them unless some of there roots are in the substrate they are mainly water column feeders
I have crypts ,water lily, twisted and straight val. The anubias roots or in the substrate only the roots the other part is above the substrate. I planted it in substrate because I had nomore driftwood or rocks to put them on an on the anubias nana petite I'm getting like a new leaf every week

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have crypts ,water lily, twisted and straight val. The anubias roots or in the substrate only the roots the other part is above the substrate. I planted it in substrate because I had nomore driftwood or rocks to put them on an on the anubias nana petite I'm getting like a new leaf every week
Ahhh ok very cool . Do you have a full shot of your tank. I would just continue to remove any damaged leaves and another suggestion would be once your bottle of flourish is used up switch to Thrive C it will give all your plants all the nutrients they need.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
I found it took several months for my java ferns to start growing. Even though they are now growing new leaves they are doing it very slowly.

I agree with @kallililly1973 about removing the dying leaves. The plant can put all of its energy into growing healthy leaves if you remove the unhealthy ones.

OP
ponitboss

ponitboss

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ahhh ok very cool . Do you have a full shot of your tank. I would just continue to remove any damaged leaves and another suggestion would be once your bottle of flourish is used up switch to Thrive C it will give all your plants all the nutrients they need.
Bottle is empty now so would have to order it in. Full picture is coming up

Attachments

OP
ponitboss

ponitboss

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I found it took several months for my java ferns to start growing. Even though they are now growing new leaves they are doing it very slowly.

I agree with @kallililly1973 about removing the dying leaves. The plant can put all of its energy into growing healthy leaves if you remove the unhealthy ones.
So remove the leaves with the brown spots

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So remove the leaves with the brown spots
I guess I am not seeing what you are seeing because those plants look healthy to me. Is it possible that the brown spots you are seeing are baby ferns. That is how they reproduce. Plantlets grown on the leaves of the parent plant.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I guess I am not seeing what you are seeing because those plants look healthy to me. Is it possible that the brown spots you are seeing are baby ferns. That is how they reproduce. Plantlets grown on the leaves of the parent plant.
Those are the healthy Anubis the OP has but the beginning of the post appeared to have Java ferns with a couple damaged leaves

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those are the healthy Anubis the OP has but the beginning of the post appeared to have Java ferns with a couple damaged leaves
Do you think they are damaged enough to need to be removed? Most of my java ferns have some of these tiny brown spots on them. In fact most of my plants look just about the same as the ones in the first 2 photos. I was assuming plantlets but I could very well be wrong.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you think they are damaged enough to need to be removed? Most of my java ferns have some of these tiny brown spots on them. In fact most of my plants look just about the same as the ones in the first 2 photos. I was assuming plantlets but I could very well be wrong.
Maybe just the one that looks damaged and yes they could be plantleta but I think the tip of that specific leave looked pretty damaged. My ferns don’t do amazingly well but on occasion when I move them around there are little plantlets floating around

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 30 61.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 10 20.4%

Top Bottom