Java fern melt?

QuaddaShrimp

Both my ten gallon and two and a half gallon have java ferns, the latter having tiny java plantlets I collected. The 2.5 gal plantlets are doing okay, but they have stalled in growth due to dwarf water lettuce sucking up all the nutrients. My ten gallon java ferns are in rough shape. The biggest leaves slowly die off and rot away, and whenever I slightly jostle the plant a bunch of them fall off/float away, as if they weren’t even connected to the rhizome. The leaves rot from the outside in at their connection to the rhizome, leaving the main vein and a tiny bit of the leaf tip intact but the rest of the leaf rotted. I have turned my light down, and seen some new growth, but I’m not sure if that is the issue. It’s a ClassicLedPlus from Nicrew, quite bright and cheap. The rhizomes are not planted in the substrate. Any and all guidance is appreciated.

Blueberrybetta

Did you recently add the java fern the past few months? Any plant will melt if recently added to a new tank because they have to get used to the new water parameters or being in water in general. Are you dosing any ferts as well? Or root tabs? How high is your Nitrate level? Also how often do you keep your lights on? Javas do prefer low light and as you said, you saw new growth with the lights out.

Upvote 0

QuaddaShrimp

Did you recently add the java fern the past few months? Any plant will melt if recently added to a new tank because they have to get used to the new water parameters or being in water in general. Are you dosing any ferts as well? Or root tabs? How high is your Nitrate level? Also how often do you keep your lights on? Javas do prefer low light and as you said, you saw new growth with the lights out.
It is older than a few months. It was actually the first plant I put in my tank. My bacopa that I got very recently is melting at bottom but putting on new growth at the top. My Anubias nana petite, also very recent (came with Bacopa from Co-Op) is slightly melting, but that takes a while to see the results of anyways. I don’t fert, and I really don’t want to anyways. I assumed my guppy poop would be enough, there are so many and they are dirty.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

5 Gallon Tank Java fern roots
Replies
Views
SM1199
Replies
Views
Teahaus
Replies
Views
kallililly1973