Java Fern In Gravel?

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I planted my java ferns in some gravel and heard that they need to be tied on a piece of driftwood or can't be in the ground. My LFS had them in the ground and they were ok I think. Do they have to be on a driftwood?

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Their rhizome is not supposed to be buried. The plant will not survive if it's rhizome is buried.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
they can be planted but only for a short time because if their rhizome is buried then it will rot and kill the plant. lfs do a lot of things they shouldnt do but still do it anyways so i wouldnt follow their example. the rhizome is the long green thing just before the roots

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If I keep that part out of water will it be fine? The LFS that I go to is very knowledgeable btw. I don't think they would do it if there was no way to keep it alive because the java fern have been planted there for a long long time and they still look good

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OneLittleBubble said:
If I keep that part out of water will it be fine? The LFS that I go to is very knowledgeable btw. I don't think they would do it if there was no way to keep it alive because the java fern have been planted there for a long long time and they still look good
Out of the water?? No, out of the substrate.

Trust your LFS if you want. But my LFS keeps the java fern on special matts, or attached to wood. As they should be. Maybe your LFS is able to sell them before they rot?

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OneLittleBubble said:
they probably sell quickly enough because it isnt possible to stop the rhizome from rotting if it is planted. it needs to be in water but cannot be planted in the gravel

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OneLittleBubble said:
Is there a way to keep only the rhizome above the water?
Why do you keep saying that? The rhizome need to be out of the SUBSTRATE. Not out of the water.....

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OneLittleBubble said:
Is there a way to keep only the rhizome above the water?
you can plant only the roots in the substrate if the roots are long enough but it is much easier to tie or glue them to rock or wood. there isnt any way to keep only the rhizome above water without killing the plant

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OneLittleBubble said:
I'm saying that because I don't have anywhere to put it
But it will dry up and die if it's out of the water.....I'm confused

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok so if I make room on my driftwood what can I put in the substrate that cichlids won't eat

bizaliz3 said:
But it will dry up and die if it's out of the water.....I'm confused
They mean that you can't keep just the rhizome out of the substrate

wait what?

Now I'm confused

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OneLittleBubble said:
Ok so if I make room on my driftwood what can I put in the substrate that cichlids won't eat

wait what?

Now I'm confused
you kept saying "out of water" instead of out of the substrate before

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OneLittleBubble said:

wait what?

Now I'm confused
Read your posts. You said out of the water multiple times. NOT out of the substrate.

Never mind, ninja'd. I am slow today.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I hold my anubias and java ferns down using plant weights. The ones that are used to hold bundles of plants together at the store, or when shipped. It allows me to just put them wherever I want to put them. I don't need to tie them to anything.

Mike1995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
in my three planted tanks, i don't even glue or tie java ferns. I just wedge it in a hole or crack in the wood and the ferns do the rest. I did it with a windalov fern and java fern in my first planted tank. Their roots are super long now and every week they seem to have 2-4 new leaves growing. even of you just gently jam the plant into a couple of rocks, they'll grow. I did that also with some ferns i took as seedlings out of the other tank. They're rooted into a piece of live rock I had. (no longer live obviously). They're all going really nice. Or take some river rocks and stack them slightly and leave a hole to place the roots in between.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom