Java Fern Has Weird Algae or Babies?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by KyleMarie, Jun 29, 2016.

1. KyleMarie

KyleMarieValued MemberMember

Hello!

My Java Ferns don't look so good and one of them has this little thing hanging off of it. I have quite a few of them, and most of them are good, buy one pack I had bought had this brown stuff on it when I got it, but it seems to have gotten worse and grown the weird strings off of it.

DSC_1016JPG.jpg
    This is the one with the little strings on it, which I thought might be babies?

DSC_1017JPG.jpg
    This pic shows the weird brown stuff on the leaves, its really only this leaf thats really bad, and next to it is its reflection in the glass.

2. Utricularia

UtriculariaNew MemberMember

It appears to be hair roots. Give your fern some time and you should see little plantlettes where those roots are.

3. OP
    OP
    KyleMarie

KyleMarieValued MemberMember

Awesome! :) Should I worry about the leaves where there are those dark spots?

4. Utricularia

UtriculariaNew MemberMember

I wouldn't, it looks like its just starting to rot. If you wanted to, you could tear off that leaf and let it float in your tank. It will develop roots and you could have an entirety new plant. That is how java fern reproduces.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice