Java Fern Getting Brown Spots After Adding New Led

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by DoubleD80, Jun 21, 2019.

1. DoubleD80

DoubleD80Valued MemberMember

My java fern has been looking pretty good lately! Nice and bushy, green lots of new growth. That was with the old fluorescent light bulb and a hooded tank! I just upgraded to a Chihiros rgb60 and went topless now! I love the light and it looks like it’s bringing my red root floaters back to life since they were dying with the other light! Is there any way I can keep both plants looking nice with the higher light or am I going to have to choose one haha? I dose Nilocg thrive twice a week the recommended 3 pumps for a 29 gallon. Thanks for any help!

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Depending on where you have your java ferns tied to maybe you could put them more towards the bottom of the tank to lessen the light on them.

3. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

Yeah they are pretty low! But I was hoping the red root floaters would grow enough to shade the tank but there’s not much left of what I first had before I got the light and took the top off! Looks like there’s new growth though! Do you think the light will kill the java fern? Thanks

Attached Files:

4. kallililly1973

It looks like its doing pretty well to me. You can take scissors and cut any small damaged leaves to promote new growth so the plant doesn't work too hard trying to repair damaged leaves. Just keep in mind on java ferns they sometimes have black spots on their leaves that are actually offspring of the mother plant ( that can eventually come off and give you a new plant ) so don't confuse that with a struggling plant.

5. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

Yeah I have seen that before on the plant! Just never seen the new leafs growing from the rhizome have a brown stem and look brown and melted at the tip. Usually they are all green when growing new leafs!

6. kallililly1973

the brown leaves could have just been a little more shaded or out competed for nutrients by the next leave causing the browning? I'de just pull or clip the weak leaves to keep that beauty going! the less brown leaves attached to the rhizome the better it will be to feed and grow the green ones and eventual new growth going

7. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

Thanks! Yeah I really like that plant and would hate to ruin it trying to grow the red root floaters! Although I love the way they look when they are healthy!

8. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

This is how it looked when I first got it from a friend.

Attached Files:

9. Vishaquatics

VishaquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Can you do a closeup on these brown spots? Most of the time Java ferns get brown/black spots are because they are ferns. These spots are areas where baby java ferns will start to grow out of directly on the leaf itself. Maybe with the light upgrade, your java fern finally decided to start propagating. Your java fern looks great by the way, it's definitely no nutrient deficiency

10. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

Thanks! Yeah a few weeks ago it was a beautiful green through out and the new growth looked great! But now the new growth is brown and melted looking like the one pic with the leaf with the brown tip!

Attached Files:

11. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

And do these red root floaters look ok? They were beautiful when I got them but slowly started to melt after I got them till I got the new light! Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

12. Vishaquatics

VishaquaticsWell Known MemberMember

The red root floaters look like they're recovering and that new growth looks great. The chihiros is a relatively powerful light and the java fern is likely getting a slight burn from the new light since the leaves aren't adapted to so much light. I don't think this is anything to worry about right now as the plant will send out new leaves adjusted for this light level.

13. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

Ok sounds good! Thank you! I really want the top covered about 3/4 with the red root floaters!

14. Wraithen

WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Looks like it wont take long. Mine double every couple of weeks. It's not what I want so I pull a ton out when I go do a drop off.

15. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

Do your leaves turn red or flower ever? Are the roots really red? Mine were red when I got them but have fallen of for new green roots! I dose nilocg thrive 2 times a week 3 pumps! Think that’s enough to get them thriving? Thanks.

16. Wraithen

I have red roots. They haven't flowered and aren't red themselves. That said, I'm taking the easy method and I inject co2 and dry dose ferts. I never owned them low tech, but as long as lighting and ferts are high enough, nothing should be different. They have all the co2 they can handle due to them being a surface plant.

17. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

Would Nilocg thrive be enough to get nice red roots you think? Thank again for the info!

18. Wraithen

Yes, but typically, red plants need lighting to be more red. My floaters had to adjust to being an inch away from my fluval 3.0 lights. They burned a bit initially, but the new ones seem to be happy enough with it. Higher lighting in low tech tanks though greatly invites algae.
    You may need to supplement with micros, especially iron. I dose iron in addition to csm+b in an amount equal to the csm+b. Iron is one of those secret growth tricks. More iron wont get you more growth, but most people tend to under dose iron due to all in one fertilizing. Iron doesn't play well in solution with macros, so all in ones are lacking in it. If you use the 2 bottle system, you are better off. Or even cheaper, just buy a bag of iron from nilocg and a set of measuring spoons. Just dose close to what rotalabutterfly recommends. Ferts aren't an exact science, as long as you provide more than enough and dont dose anything crazy heavy on its own, you will be fine.

19. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

Sounds good! Thanks for all the helpful info! Yeah when I first put the Chihiros rgb on I got algae the first couple days but haven’t seen any on the glass in the last two days! There’s even some on my java fern!