Java Fern dying

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a Java Fern in my 20 gallon tank, with my other plants, and it's leaves are turning black. I read that they don't like fertilzers or other supplementation, which my other plants require. If I move it to my 5 gallon Betta tank, will my snails eat it?

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have 3 java ferns in my 5 gallon tank with a mystery snail and frogs. I also have micro swords in the tank so i supplement it with fertilizer tablets and C02 fizz tablets and my java ferns actually look healthier and are even producing loads of babys! I think there is about 20 little srpouts on my ferns at the moment... anyways if the non supplement thing is true, then my plants are just wierd because they have had no problem. And my mystery snail will graze on fallen food and other stuff of the leaves, but I havent actually seen him eat the plants but idk much about snail eating habits so yea.....

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The snails might eat the dying leaves but not the plant itself.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have the roots below the substrate? If you do, pull them out, java ferns don't like to be buried like other plants. I don't know if you already know this, but it's worth a shot.
Tom

NextstepAquatics

Reaction score
i have had java fern at differant times one batch stayed a nice green regadles of where it grew in light or not . the other batch simply had black patches in the leaves which seemed to turn into new shoots down the road.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom