Java Fern Dying

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Danny Wang, Apr 11, 2018.

1. D

Danny Wang New Member Member

i have a 55 gallon tank. fully established, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. i use a T8 light. i hear java fern and anubias needs only 8-10 hours a day, but i keep it about 12 hours a day because of tannins in my tank so I figure that impacts the strength of light. I give it Flourish every other day and Excel once a week and 1 CO2 Yeast Generator is running in the tank.

Is the reason I have too much light? or any ideas? any help is appreciated

7276492474389847153%253Faccount_id%253D2.jpg

2018-04-11.png

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

In general, you could potenially keep a java fern in the closet for 6 months and it wouldn't show any signs of wear. I would decrease your lighting to 8 hours a day at most to avoid algae problems that do affect slowing growing plants like java and anubis. The flourish fertilizer in my opinion shouldn't be used either in that excess due to those two plants not being heavy feeders. The hardest thing to curb with these plants is algae so limit things that grow algae. I also don't see anything to be concerned about your java fern with. It looks healthy. Java fern leaves do deteriorate when growing plantlets off the tips of its leaves. They will also deteriorate on occasion when they get old.

3. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm having similar problems with my java fern adapting to higher light.

4. OP
    OP
    D

Danny Wang New Member Member

How old is considered old?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice