Java Fern Diseased?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by ShellyB78, Aug 18, 2019.

1. ShellyB78

ShellyB78Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +23
    i got 2 bunches of java fern and put one in my shrimp tank which is fine and healthy and growing well and the other in my community tank. We had to add an air stone in the community tank as some issues arose and the java was in the firing line of the bubbles most of the time. I noticed today that it has either eggs on it (only egg layers/spawners I have in there are cherry barbs) or it has some kind of disease. What is it? Does anyone know?

Attached Files:

2. RSababady

RSababadyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +742
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hi - let me see if I can shed some light on those egg looking things.
    When Java fern considers the water favourable, it grows by sending out new shoots that detach themselves and anchor on to something else.
    However when Java fern feels threatened by the water conidtions it produces these clack seeds that you have - these seeds will drop off and wait for favourable conditions before they start growing.

So what you need to do is check your water conditions. What are your water specs? What is is your water change routine? what is the water temp and how much lighting do the plants get? The answers to these questions will help some give you the right advice.

3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,698
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Those are spore cases as often seen in ferns. Nothing wrong.