Java Fern dieing?

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have 2 Java Fern in my 7.5gal tank. I have an 11W fluorescant bulb in the tank, but ever since I have bought them one seems to be dieing. It has a lot of brown parts on the leaves and the leaves just seem to flop everywhere. There are new leaves coming from the bottom. What should I do? The other plant seems to be doing fine, but im not sure if it is a Java Fern. It looks nothing like the other plant, and it seems to have, what looks like, roots comeing out of the top of the leaves of the plants. Is this normal?

Thanks

Gwenz

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had it happen to mine, but they've always recovered. Have you moved them recently?

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They are quite new in the tank. Been there about a week. My mum bought them, and they were like that when she got them for me. The new leaves that are coming from the bottom are a nice green, but are still very small at the moment and the other leaves (the ones with brown patches) lokk horrible and look like they are going to die. :-\ What should I do?

thanks

Gwenz

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If the leaves get really bad, you can clip them back to the green. It should take them a few weeks but they'll be looking great once they recover.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The Java Fern is probably in the process of "getting settled" in a new tank. I think it's normal for newly planted plants to lose some leaves. Any leaves and roots that are decaying should be removed. Once the plant gets established it should do well.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yes, but I am not sure whether you should cut them off at the crown of the stems or higher.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh OK. Do you think Carol or someone would know? I could PM her.

Gwenz

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Most of the leaves on mine fully recovered; however, if they get really bad, you can just clip them back.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Carol will probably know. But you can also go to PlantGeek.net - they know really a lot about all aquatic plants. When I have questions about a planted tank or plants, I always ask them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom