Question Java Fern Care

abbytherookiehuman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I’ve had this java fern for about a month now. When i first got it it looked pretty dead and hopeless but i gave it some time just in case there was hope
Little over a week ago i noticed some new growth and i was wondering...
Should i cut off the super dead leaf on the left (in pic) so that the plant isn’t wasting energy on it or should i leave it on so the plant can absorb nutrients through it
I don’t really know how this plant works so in put would be great.
Image1568182938.580401.jpg

The roots also have something that looks like black beard algae all over them. I’ll add a pic of that so someone can tell me if i should cut it off
Image1568183048.853443.jpg

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mine as black beard as well and I've left it alone it's only on the roots and looks ok, as for the leaf cut it off as close to its base as possible it's not helping the rest of the plant,
Edit you can spray the blackbeard with h2o2 if you want

abbytherookiehuman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mine as black beard as well and I've left it alone it's only on the roots and looks ok, as for the leaf cut it off as close to its base as possible it's not helping the rest of the plant,
Edit you can spray the blackbeard with h2o2 if you want
Thank you

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would trim the damaged leaf and also trim a couple of the root with the BBA on them ( not all of them ). If you spray with h202 go easy so you don't completely melt it. Are you adding any liquid ferts to the tank?

DannyPritchett01

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm having problems as well with my java fern. Same thing as you. I had bought mine at Petco and it was pretty much stems with no rhizome. Mayne yours was the same and the stems grew a rhizome. Maybe mine has hope still too.

abbytherookiehuman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would trim the damaged leaf and also trim a couple of the root with the BBA on them ( not all of them ). If you spray with h202 go easy so you don't completely melt it. Are you adding any liquid ferts to the tank?
I use flourish excel

I'm having problems as well with my java fern. Same thing as you. I had bought mine at Petco and it was pretty much stems with no rhizome. Mayne yours was the same and the stems grew a rhizome. Maybe mine has hope still too.
Mine came in a ziplock bag in a paper thin envelope and was looking pretty drab. There was a slow improvement but i noticed the new growth after putting it in my new tank with lights, ferts and iron sand. I think those helped out.
Just wait it out and there should be a slow improvement. Encouraging growth might be good

abbytherookiehuman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Excel is more of an algeacide rather than a form of liquid co2. If your planning or already have other plants in your tank a good investment would be a bottle of Nilog Trive c for low tech tanks. All your palnts would benefit much more than just using excel.
Oh ok I’ll look into that i had no idea

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom