Java Fern Babies

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Kevin 12980, Apr 14, 2018.

1. K

Kevin 12980 New Member Member

I have 4 individual Java Fern plants in my 40 breeders along with 2 Anubis and another plant I’m not sure of the name. The one I’m not sure of looks like a crypt with thick leaves. All that being said one of the Java Fern plants has babies growing off the top of the leaves on 3 of the leaves. I’ve been letting them grow for about a month or so now. They are probably about 1” tall now. Will they eventually separate themselves from the leaves so I can move them elsewhere? Do I trim the babies from mother leaf? I’ve read different things on different sites none of which are too convincing on the proper way to go about separation of the babies. All my plants are doing great they are all producing new leaves on a regular basis. I had 30 dwarf sag that wouldn’t do anything besides melt back and then produce new leaves then melt back again so I removed all of them last night while doing my water change. Sorry for rambling on I tend to get off topic sometimes...‍♂️

2. ljm0104

ljm0104 Valued Member Member

If you want to keep the baby plants you can gently pick them off the mother plant and tie them to a rock, driftwood, wedge them in a crack etc... If you don't you can just pick them off and throw them out. I've never had any issues with them coming apart or breaking when I pluck them.

They will eventually come off the leaf but that usually means the mother leaf is rotting away so I usually pick them off when they are just big enough for me to stick on driftwood and throw the mother leaf out. Sometimes my fish will disturb them when swimming through the leaves and float through the water till I place them or they get wedged somewhere.

3. OP
    OP
    K

I’ve got all my Java wedged in between dragonstone and they seem to be doing great that way. The baby Java look to have a fairly nice root rhizome now. I want to try and create a wall of Java Fern from front to back to give some separation. So can I cut the mother leave and separate the babies that way so the entire leaf doesn’t rot away?

4. ljm0104

ljm0104 Valued Member Member

Yes, that would be best. Especially with dragonstone you should be able to just kind of wedge the baby plants in there and they should root pretty quickly.

5. OP
    OP
    K

Thank you for your help and advice

6. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

I've taken about 5-7 off various leaves and the leaves are still fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice