Java fern and the Nibblers

OutsideFoodBlob

So not sure how big and robust Java fern needs to be to not be snackable. The Nibblers have in less than 24 hours already taken sizable chunks out of these smaller ones.
I bought the ferns about 2 weeks ago and let them grow out in a separate container. Excited to see fresh fronds shooting up with just some sunlight and well water.

The Nibblers are 2 inches or less and I suspect all 3 are responsible. I have threatened them with ordering duckweed and azolla. They don’t know what these are but at least it would be intentional snackage on my part.

Java fern seems to have a reputation for not being tasty, but the Nibblers beg to differ. Not giving up on fern in the future but I think I’ll pull it for now and let it grow out in bin for a few months.

Attachments

• AAE6E3BC-3A18-42B9-A224-8DC26869AA61.jpeg
    AAE6E3BC-3A18-42B9-A224-8DC26869AA61.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 9
  • D1E350CF-1B69-43BD-B0A6-A2B50C5CA1D5.jpeg
    D1E350CF-1B69-43BD-B0A6-A2B50C5CA1D5.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 9

carsonsgjs

My festivum had a particular fondness for java fern, despite it apparently being fish safe. Literally ate all of it in my tank, and some of those plants were huge.

Some additional vegetable matter added to its diet helped cure it of its fern addiction and made it realise that there are tastier things in life to be had.

OutsideFoodBlob

My festivum had a particular fondness for java fern, despite it apparently being fish safe. Literally ate all of it in my tank, and some of those plants were huge.

Some additional vegetable matter added to its diet helped cure it of its fern addiction and made it realise that there are tastier things in life to be had.
That’s why I’m probably going to go the duckweed/azolla route. I can grow it in separate container and feed them. Introduce ferns back in after.
So not so fish proof after all, the ferns. Disappointed but not surprised really. I only spent a few bucks on them. Petco tube plants. But they are or were healthy and happy.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
ruud
Replies
Views
Arvil
Replies
Views