Java Fern and Java Moss Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Fish_Man, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Fish_Man

Fish_ManValued MemberMember

Hi,

I've had no luck on my java fern or java moss (I don't think).. the java moss was sort of dark green when I got it and now its light green with some yellowish strands, is that bad? Its in a shrimp tank. People say it grows really really fast but I haven't notice such change yet.

Java Fern - has not grown at all, looks more dead... I have some piece of the leaves with dark brown/black spots (what does that mean?)

Any help on how to keep these from dying would be great.

Thanks

2. peacemaker92

peacemaker92Well Known MemberMember

Hi Fish Man, IMO, you can get some root tabs from your LFS to help a bit with your java fern. I don't know what's wrong with your j. moss... Wait for more input from other members. Best of luck! :;group

3. ldbrown3138

ldbrown3138Valued MemberMember

How much light do you have? Both are low light plants but they still need a minimum of 8 hours good light. J moss should be dark green, it doesn't grow real fast. J fern always has some spots on leaves. Do you have pics?

4. OP
    OP
    Fish_Man

Fish_ManValued MemberMember

I don't have pics right now but I'll take some tonight.

Its a fluorescent light that came with the tank.

5. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

Substrate tablets will not help your Java Fern, or at least they shouldn't. Java Fern & Java Moss are both plants that do not belong planted in the substrate. If you have the Fern planted in the substrate that is your problem right there. Liquid fertilisers for both of these plants.

Can you post the numbers that are written on the flourescent tube along with the brand name please? eg: CH Lighting, F18T8 Sun-Lux 10,000k. Also do you have the plants attached to some decorations or have you got them planted in the substrate?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice