Jarring fry

1. critter_fritter79

critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I am getting ready to head back to texas from missouri...a 14 hour drive. On the way up here, I had all the fry in a 2 gallon jug but in the 2 weeks since I have been here with them in the 38 they have grown quite a bit. I have been doing some research and getting several different answers on jarring fry. I know it isn't absolutely necessary until they start showing aggression, but I am wondering when it is POSSIBLE. I am thinnking they would be happer making the trip at least if they were in seperate jars not to mention easier to move.

The jars would be kept plenty warm I am just wondering if 5-6 weeks old is too soon for them to all be top breathing. I have jarred the biggest of the older fry..they hatched out on oct 8th...and he is doing great. Cn I jar the rest for the trip? If so, would I need to put them back in the growout tank when I get it set back up or can they be left jarred with daily water changes?

2. f

fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Hmmmm, can't offer much on the advice front but I can tell you this, when you separate them from the spawn can help determine the personality of the babies.
    I have read that the longer the fry are exposed to each other the more placid and tolerant of other fish they will be. Breeders that want exceptionally aggressive males separate them as soon as it is possible so that they become extremely territorial.

What kind of personalities do you want?

I think they would be alright jarred or together. you could always give it a test run with a few and watch to see how they go with top breathing, if they struggle than keep them together. Just a suggestion.

3. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

I am also wondering how old they need to be before they can be without the heater.

EDIT: I also checked on the 48oz cups I ordered...they told me the only ones they were able to get were either black or red...so no go on those. At the moment I have a bunch of quart jars...would those work ok?

4. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

I rounded up a 3 gallon bottle that I could use to transport them this time...any suggestions on which would be better?

5. f

fishtroy Well Known Member Member

The bigger the better? 3 Gallon sounds good, it would probably be easier for you to keep them all together.