Japanese Marimo balls???

sick-lid boy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard of these or know anything about them? I bought a Discus fish on eBay and the seller included one of these curious little moss balls as a bonus.

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes! What a nice gift! I bought two on ebay. They are really just moss/algae balls that live in my tank and absorb extra nutrients- nice for keeping algae down and my fish seem to not eat them. I like an asian theme for my tanks so thought they were a nice touch. :)

there is a really aborable site for them here:
http://www.marimomarimo.com

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
These things are so neat. They are an endangered species in the wild, not because of overharvesting, but because there is only one lake (I think) that they inhabit in Japan. There are also European versions, though they aren't as well known.
They are hugely popular in Japan. They require little care other than periodic turning (and that's only if you want them to grow spherical), some fertilizer (unless they're in with fish, which will fertilize them) and light.

sick-lid boy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Dropped it my Discus tank... got a slight algae problem in that tank anyway, maybe the moss ball will help a little. I also hear Marimo balls are supposed to bring good luck... we''ll see what happens.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Heres some more info on them
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom