Jamie's Im20 Build!

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Builds' started by jamie carmichael, Mar 9, 2018.

1. jamie carmichael

jamie carmichael Well Known Member Member

The tank has finally arrived after weeks of deciding between tanks and looking for the bets possible deal! Thanks to all of you guys!
    Edit : build thread starts in October, page 15 lol.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  2. Jayd976

Jayd976 Well Known Member Member

cant wait to see pics!

3. OP
    OP
    jamie carmichael

Looks way bigger in person. Those media baskets need to be swapped out but no biggie also glad to say no cracks!

Attached Files:

4. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

Awesome sauce!!! :D:D:D

5. OP
    OP
    jamie carmichael

And after a ton of work i got it onto a stand. That thing is really heavy!

Anyone know a trick to get the backing paper off? Its really annoying and fiddly.

Its all setup and ready!! Need to get live sand and rock first!!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2018
  6. Reeferxbetta

Reeferxbetta Well Known Member Member

Wow!! It is beautiful!! I've peeled stickers off of aquariums with razor blades before, but I see you just updated and it looks like you got it, awesome!! Looks really nice!

7. OP
    OP
    jamie carmichael

Thanks!! Glad i didn't get the 10 gallon! There is some dust/stickiness around the tank from the backing paper and from some other things can i just fill it up with saltwater straight away? Obviously not now lol i have nothing but like after putting rock and sand can i just add water or should i wash it with some rodi water before adding the water and other stuff?
    Thanks for the help

8. Reeferxbetta

Reeferxbetta Well Known Member Member

I would use a razor blade to scrape off any residue from stickers if there is any, and give it a rinse/wipe down first, you won't want any dust or dirt in it, then add sand, water, and live rock. Some people add water and then sand, but I find that makes it very cloudy, it's gonna be cloudy at first either way, but ime adding sand before the water helps that a lot.

9. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

Work with your rocks before putting anything in the tank Jamie. Try to figure out how you'll fit them together in a way that will look nice as well as provide different levels for placing corals in the tank. It's much easier to work with the rock outside of the tank, then put it together in tank once you have it figured out.

Also, rock needs to be placed before the sand goes in. You want the rocks on the bottom glass for stability, and so sand dwellers don't upset rock placement and get hurt or cause a collapse. ;)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  10. OP
    OP
    jamie carmichael

Thanks for all the help!! Yeah i had heard that its better to put rock first and ill try to work out a scape before putting it in. I think for the residue ill get a wet towel and wipe it down before adding anything. Hope i can get some nice rock tomorrow and also the ordering shall begin lol:D:D

11. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Well Known Member Member

Just wipe it with a damp rag.

12. OP
    OP
    jamie carmichael

Yeah just done that thanks! Also put the packaging plastic on it because my room is really dusty for some reason.

13. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Happy new tank, its a beauty !

14. OP
    OP
    jamie carmichael

Thanks! Was just adding up all the parts for the tank and it was 450 without the tank! I almost fell off my chair haha. Im going to have to find some cheaper lighting and some other stuff.

15. grantm91

I just looked at this tank on Ebay, absolute value for money, on my first nano tank I had the Arcadia stretch marine, cheap and not bad for softies and lps.

16. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

Its finally here! Its beautiful!!

17. OP
    OP
    jamie carmichael

I know i can't get over it lol. @grantm91 thanks for the advice I'll hopefully look into one of those lights. I was looking to buy used as a new tank like this is pretty hard to find but came across this one from Germany with shipping for 115 pounds. I don't even know where people get them from though. They aren't common but I mean there are quite a few of these for sale.

18. grantm91

Oh if your buying second hand in the UK find your local Reefing page on FB mine is west midlands marine, seen a ever-grow on there for £70 the other day, thats my favorite place to buy and sell.

19. OP
    OP
    jamie carmichael

Going to start ordering some parts on amazon!!

Due to a lack of money this build may take some time lol. Trust me guys im as annoyed as you guys but i have to wait until april to gather some money. Don't worry itll be early april but just wanted to let you guys know that this wont be a typical build where everything is setup in a matter of days. Its a shame but theres not much i can really do. Hope you guys understand.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2018
  20. Jayd976

Jayd976 Well Known Member Member

Jamie, it’s your build, your time and your money. Do what you can at a pace you can afford that’s all that matters. Trust me in this hobby we all understand very well lol.

As a side note on lighting. You can’t really start hitting the corals until the tank matures a bit say 4-6 months after yo and running. So with that said the lighting can wait a bit if you have any old aquarium light it’ll work for now for budget planning.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice