Jager heater help Question 

Red_Rose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I had a Stealth for close to two months and last week, it just died on me so I had bought a 50w Jager yesterday.

After I re-calibrated it using an accurate thermometer, I set the temperature to 76(the tank temp was 78) just so I could keep an eye on it overnight. Well even though the heater is set at 76, it's keeping the tank at 78!

Should this two degree difference be a concern? I know I should be happy that it's keeping the temperature I want but it just irks me that the number on the dial does not match what the thermometer says!

If I calibrate the heater to 80F even though it is 78 in the tank and then set the temperature to 78, would that keep the tank at that temperature?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most heaters are one to two degress different than the thermometer. Set the heater at what ever you have to to keep your tank at the temp you want it to be.
What kind of thermometer are you using?
Carol

Red_Rose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
These are the two thermometers I used. Both are accurate.

I was thinking of trying to set the heater dial at 78 to see if it went up two degrees. I would like to try to match the number on the dial with what the temperature says on the thermometers. Do you think the re-calibrating suggestion I made in my first post would be a good idea? I want to keep the tank at 78F.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All heaters are not precision heaters they all will have a + or - of up to 3-4 dgrees and some are more precise than others so if it hase a degree on dial don't trust it!!!!

Red_Rose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So I take it it would be best to just leave the heater be? If it's keeping the water at the temperature I want it at then I should just be happy with it and not bother to tamper with the settings?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Red_Rose said:
So I take it it would be best to just leave the heater be? If it's keeping the water at the temperature I want it at then I should just be happy with it and not bother to tamper with the settings?
Sounds good If the temp is where you want it that's all that matters.
Carol

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Red_Rose said:
Yes exactly all heaters take a little time to get your temp where it is preffered the dial is just a indicator to some point to get as close to temp as possible then dialing in the heater takes a while to do so.

Red_Rose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'll just leave it be then.

I do have another question though. Several minutes ago, I had unplugged the heater because I was going to put my hands in there to remove a bit of hair algae and to move the heater over a bit away from a plant and that's when I noticed that the blue dial was raised a bit. I took it out of the water and pushed the dial back down and it made a click noise.

After I was finished in the tank, I plugged the heater back in and the light wouldn't come on. It still has yet to come on so I'm hoping that it's still working. Do you think there would be anything wrong with the heater after finding the temperature dial raised a bit and especially since the light didn't turn on when I plugged it back in? Last night when I calibrated it, I had to use a pair of plyers to get the button up. Do you think that could've been the cause of the dial being a bit raised?

Thanks again.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It could have been I hope you didn't damage the unit is your themometer at where it should be has temp fluctuated it also could have changed the setting on heater just keep an eye on it to see what becomes of it.

Red_Rose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I hope there's nothing wrong with it too. I called out to Big Al's(where I bought it) and they said that if there is a problem with it to just return it for another one but I hope I don't have to do that since the store isn't in town.

I know there wasn't a fluctuation in the temperature because I checked it with a different one and both were the same.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well then it should be fine as long as it's doing it's job then your good to go!!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads