Jade?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by Furallicah, Apr 15, 2010.

1. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

I figured since I happened to come across a question I'm not 100% sure of and havent gotten a chance to ask my Chemistry teacher yet, What do you think of Jade in a tank? I have a small (ish) Jade carved Dragon. I was wanting to put it into one of my tanks after a hard boiling...for several hours. But I came across the question...is Jade safe? I know Jade is a term for two different metamorphic rocks. 1.Nephrite- consists of a microcrystaline interlocking fibrous matrix of the calcium, magnesium-iron rich amphibole mineral series tremolite (calcium-magnesium)-ferroactinolite (calcium-magnesium-iron). The middle member of this series with an intermediate composition is called actinolite (the silky fibrous mineral form is one form of asbestos). *The higher the iron content the greener the color*.
    2. Jadeite- is a sodium and aluminium rich pyroxene. The gem form of the mineral is a microcrystaline interlocking crystal matrix. (Sited from Wiki)

The iron content isnt that high it is a pale green similar to dieing grass before it turns brown. None of the materials that make up Jade stand out to me as harmful to fish. I just wanted to double check myself with the people of FishLore. I know the chemical make up is Ca2(MgFe)5(OH)2(Si4O11)2 (Nephrite) And NaAl(SiO3)2 (Jadeite). I also know that limestone and some forms of slate and soapstone, can be harmful to fish. But at the basic chemical levels....being Silicon, Magnesium, Iron, Sodium, And Aluminum....I dont think there is anything harmful to it. What do you guys and gals think? :;dk

2. Algae EaterWell Known MemberMember

I would ere on the side of caution. Jade is one of those gems that is often and easily faked with similar looking gemstones, which means that your stone could really be a number of different stones. Even if it is real, you have to know if it is natural (meaning nothing has been done to the stone) or whether it has been stablized and if so, how. Stablizing any kind of gemstone basically hardens the gem by coating it in polystyrene (pastic resin), or oil or wax. If yours has been stablized using polystyrene, then you're probably good to go but avoid the oil or wax. If it's real and natural, I really don't know if it would leach into the tank or if it would be harmful if it does. Since there are so many possibilities, I wouldn't use it, though, just to be safe.

3. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

You pose a good point. I wasnt 100% sure but as far as I know it has been stablized with polystyrene due to the texture of the stone. I didnt think of that. Being so I probely wont use it. Thanks.....Chris...lol

4. Algae EaterWell Known MemberMember

You're welcome. :) Maybe you could display it next to the tank.

5. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

When I read this, the Chinese in me shuddered a little to think of perfectly good jade (if real) in fish tanks, haha. >.> I know it reacts to oils (hence it changes colors as you wear it through your life) but I've never considered how it reacts to water...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice