Jack Went Super Aggressive

Josh Summers

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I have a 120 gallon with 1 Oscar 6inch. 1 pink jack 5inch. And 1 Raphael cat 7inch. And everything was great for months and months then the last couple days the jack is trying to kill everything. Oscar is beat up and now my jack is trying to take on the spiked Raphael cat bigger then her. Why the turn of aggression? Spawning time? Idk I've tried everything. Moved stuff took stuff out. Moved fish temporarily then back in. But for the last 3 or 4 days shes been so vicious. Any help? I took every decoration out of the tank and just put 2 clay pots in there so both fish can hide but nothing sharp for her chasing the Oscar.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'd rehome her. I don't think you'll be able to fix the situation without rehoming fish.

OP
J

Josh Summers

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Everything was fine for a very long time. Why the change?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fish mature and feel the drive to breed and claI'm a territory.

OP
J

Josh Summers

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Everyone is telling me it's a female but I've noticed her shimmering towards my Oscar almost trying to breed with my Oscar. She's showing all the signs of breeding but I think both the JD and Oscar are females. Could I be wrong if the JD is shimmering? And I know it's impossible to sex oscars

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They can't breed. I'd still rehome some fish; I don't think there are other options here, unless you want to get a bigger tank.

OP
J

Josh Summers

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know they can't breed but A 120 isn't big enough for 1 Oscar and 1 jack? I have a different tank 100 gallon with 1 Oscar, 1 gold severum , 2 convicts and 1 fetherfin. Been running for many years like that just fine. Water parameters great. All fish happy and healthy. And basically full grown. I was actually thinking if adding a electric blue acara about the same size to the 120, since there's only the jack and Oscar but I've learned that added more cichlids sometimes is better then less. It breaks up the aggression and keeps them from establishing territorry

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Tank compatibility is completely up to the individual fish...even more so with cichlids. You may have a 300 gallon tank that 2 6 inch cichlids may fight to the death in

OP
J

Josh Summers

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Possibility more stocking would help? The female jack is definitely trying to spawn. She's shimmering. And showing all the signs. I'm hoping it will calm down once shes done. I've been trying to find a male jack but my local fish store don't sell fish that size. All they have is tiny babies. I've been trying to order one. But can't find a good website. Most say they can't sex the fish. Any ideas on a good place to order?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Adding a male JD to the tank would likely result in the death of your other fish, if she's already beating those up.

OP
J

Josh Summers

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
While adding a male I would move both jacks to my 75 gallon once it's set up. I separated both fish but it's just worse when I put anything new in with the female jack. I turned my temperature from 80 down to 76 and it seemed to slow down the aggression alot. I know how temps provoke breeding so maby A cold snap I was hoping would get her out of her spawn phase. The only reason I was thinking to get a male and put them in another tank cause I wasn't sure if she's gonna be happy until she gets a male with her. And I don't re-home fish to someone else. I'll go buy another tank before I give any fish away.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That sounds like a good plan, a 75 gal for the pair of JDs alone. I would add the female to the new tank at the same time as the male, so she doesn't have a chance to claI'm it as her territory.

Dempsey Dude

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
80 is way too hot for Dempseys anyway unless you're treating for ich or something. I use the cooler water strategy to reduce aggression in my cichlid tanks as well, works great. I always try to keep my temps at 75 or below, and I have kept JDs with festae, green terrors, salvini, convicts, firemouths, etc. with minimal issues.

OP
J

Josh Summers

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'll try that lowering the temp a little. I had it at 77 but with summer it's been running around 80 but I'll start keeping the a.c. on in the room

New Threads