Jack Dempsey's Second Spawn

1. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

They did it again. I have pics attached of the eggs and Mom. Mom and Dad both showed up in the video. We were trying to figure out last time if they were old enough. I'm hoping some of you JD breeding experts can tell me if I underestimated their size. Since the video is so dark, Dad is about an inch, maybe two inches bigger than Mom.

I'm kinda curious if they're still "practicing" or if they are actually old enough for these spawns. Thanks everyone!

http://s650.photobucket.com/albums/uu230/hagan123/?action=view&current=120809JDPair004.flv

Attached Files:

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

im still having issues with the vids :( not sure if its my pc or what grrr...but i cant see any fish other than the lighter pink one at the end

in the photo, ive never seen a pink jd...is that something new? and I wish I could help but IMO they dont usually breed until 6-8 inches or so...you might be the lucky one !!!!! LOL

3. navyscuba Well Known Member Member

Haha I guess the water in Georgia is the same as here. :;balloons

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Shawnie-the vid on this camera is horrible. It's probably not your PC. However, I got some pics of Dad. Here he is. Mom is a gold JD. I hadn't heard of them either until the auction in September.

Both of these JD's came from SWilkins. Navy, beware, her water is in your tanks. Make sure you keep the obliquens in it;) Shawnie and I would be HAPPY to take some babies off your hands, right Shawnie:;hug2

Attached Files:

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

ahhh gold ive seen pink i havent hahahah....hence my new pc and im still tweeking it ..sowwy :) only you will know if they are big enough...when they spawn is free swimming!!!!!! but mine were 6 and 8 inches respectfully , before they spawned...goodluck! love that boy george!!!!!

6. Annadvn Well Known Member Member

I have a pair thats 4" for the male and 2" for the female. They lay every 3 weeks - i don't remember putting a calendar in the tank for them but who knows :;dk

Congrats on the eggs, i'm interested to see what a gold and a normal JD produce.

Anna

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

cool! have the eggs survived?

8. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Maybe I'll syphon the fry this time and put them in my "fry tank". They ate the last spawn. Mercy that scares me, though. Out of the four fry that SWilkins gave me, only one is still alive.

I'll tell George you said hello, but that wasn't him;). I would ask Shelby what Dad's name is, but it's probably something quite "fluffy" and offensive to big, tough JD's. The last time I asked her about the name of her fish, they were named after Hannah Montana characters or something equally as scary.

Anna-thanks for the congrats. If these fry make it, it'll definitely be interesting to see what the babies look like. Please keep us posted on your pair.:)

9. navyscuba Well Known Member Member

:;laughing

10. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Okay, so crazy me just measured that spot where Dad was. It looks like he's around 6". I think Mom is between 4-5". This may be another practice run. The last time we had fry, but they got eaten after a week of free-swimming. I'm definitely going to syphon a few fry and try to grow them out myself.

11. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

well silly you just answered my question!!!!!
    if you got free swimmers, (DUH ON MY PART...thats right you did have free ones!!!) they arent practicing they are just nawty parents LOL

12. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Just like their grandpa! They were real nawty tonight. They ate the egss while I was at Shelby's Chorus Christmas Concert. There was an egg hunt because my convict pair in the kitchen ate their eggs tonight while we were gone as well. They both got fed normal times, but I turned their lights off 40 minutes late.

Well, it hasn't been that long since we had JD fry to this egg-laying, so I'm sure it will happen again soon. Next time, I'm sucking out babies the second I see them swimming and I won't do the flash photography session on the tank.

Thanks, Shawnie:;hug2 Mercy, to have cichlids, you have to be as crazy as they are. Wow, I just found my place in the world:;smack:;tmi

13. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

Congrads on the spawn BB. Sorry the little buggers ate them though!. :rolleyes:
    My two are from SWilkins, not sure if they are the same ones. I don't have gold ones though. But mine seemed way to small to spawn yet they do. This is their second spawn and both have been free swimming but nature took it's course in the 120 and I had a bunch of fat fish. Not mom and dad though. They stayed loyal to the bitter end. I bet my mom is 3" and dad maybe 4 or 5.

14. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks. They may have moved them. I guess time will tell.

The convict pair that I thought ate their eggs just moved them. I found the eggs in another spot this morning.

Thanks everyone for your support! My fishie babies definitely keep me hoppin, for sure! That's another reason I love them so much!

15. lorabell Well Known Member Member

Congrats!!!!! I hope u have tons,and tons of babies soon!!!!!!

16. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

UPDATE: We have free swimmers:;banaman They tricked me again. I'm siphoning the babies and putting them in a breeders net in my baby tank.

17. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Right on good luck with them.

Brian

18. navyscuba Well Known Member Member

Yay wanna trade? haha.:;fim

19. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Thank you both:;hug2

How are those obliquen babies doing, Navy? ;)

Seriously, if these babies make it, you can have as many as you want:;hug2

20. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

congrats grammmmie!! did ya loose an arm getting the babies out? LOL
    I hope things go well!!!!!!