Jack Dempsey's acting scared and hiding Help

1. jillofalltrades37 Well Known Member Member

Just recently moved some of my fish around and put my pair of Jacks in a 55g by themselves, there behavior has been going on for some time even when they were in there other tank, Hiding if I am in the room,
    If I walk in the room they swim very fast and run into things to try to hide, I added a small pleco and one feeder fish from one of my other tanks but it has not helped. This tank has been up and running for over a month, and I seeded it with filter media from another tank.
    ph. 7.8 amo . 0 Nitrite 0 nitrate 20 or maybe a little above, I do a 50% water change weekly. They look Healthy just act like there scared to death. I am scared they are going to hurt themselves. any advice would be great.

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I believe I would give your fish more time to adapt to the recent changes. Hopefully they will come around and not be so shy before too long!

Best wishes for your fish!

Ken

3. jillofalltrades37 Well Known Member Member

Thanks I will give it some time, guess they got tired of the feeder fish swimming around and ate him. how long do you think it should take? should i leave the lights off? cover the tank with a blanket? I have had a pair of Jacks in the past, and they never acted like this.

4. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Get a chair, and sit in front of the tank. I read or watch the snails, and after a while the fish figure out you arent a threat. I sit next to mine when i feed them. Food is an excellent bribe lol.

5. jillofalltrades37 Well Known Member Member

Thanks... there finally out more.. and after water change today i noticed wigglers... oh man i hope i did not suck any up..