Question Jack Dempsey Thrashing around

fishiesforme1

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Many times I've noticed lately that my JD gets really spooked when dog, cat, or I walk by. He goes absolutely freakish and rams the glass or driftwood. It's pretty disoncerting! I worry because I had a large pleco who got spooked once and killed himself ramming the glass.

The JD is in a 50 gallon, heavily planted with valisnaria as tall as the tank, and large driftwood with plenty of hiding spots. He only does it when the tank is approached. Any idea what it could be?

He has a birchir buddy that's the same size, 8 inches, and they are always hanging out right next to each other. There are also mini-upside down cats, small pictus cats, and a stripped raphael in there with him. Water temp is 78F. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate under 15.

Edit: can you also help me sex him/her? I can't tell if it's male or female.

Attachments

jillofalltrades37

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If I haven't said it before welcome to Fishlore! You have a beautiful male! My Pair of Jacks do the same thing, Maybe you could move your tank to a not so traffic area, Are the lights in the tank really bright? that maybe he can't see ya till you get close to the tank, I'm just trying to throw some idea's out there. Maybe you will get some more Ideas on this.

OP
fishiesforme1

fishiesforme1

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It could definitely be the lighting. I've got a 48" shop light on there with two bulbs. Didn't think about that. But I also think he'd benefit from moving to a less popular space in the house.

GREAT! Now I get to move a tank.

Thanks for the input!!

Rattliffc12

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
How long have you had HIM, yes it is def. a male lol. I had this exact same problem. I purchased him at a later age in his life so I think he may have had some history coming with him. My tank is a 60 gallon. I was very worried and the way I fixed this problem was time along with a tankmate. Good Luck and keep us posted!