Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Jack Dempsey Tankmates??? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by JG77777, Mar 30, 2019.

1. JG77777Valued MemberMember

Hello I recently restarted my 45 gallon tank and was looking around for new fish. I stumbled across a picture of a Jack Dempsey and thought it looked pretty cool. I was wondering what I could have with it if I get one. Obviously I have to cycle it for a while. Thanks!

2. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Hello. I have a 10 inch JD in a 72 gallon Bow Front by himself. IM too afraid to put anyone with him. They can be VERY AGGRESSIVE!!!

3. A201Well Known MemberMember

JD's are awsome fish to keep, but they get pretty big. Your 45 gal. will be fine for a baby Jack until he gets to about 5". At that point you're going to need a bigger tank. If you start the JD as a 2" juvenile, tankmates can include juveniles - Green Terror (Rivulatus) Salvini Cichlid, maybe even a Texas Cichlid.
    Synodontis Catfish, Dwarf Plecos or Botia Loaches.

4. JG77777Valued MemberMember

What about convicts? I like the looks of the other fish but dont want to have to rehome anything in the long run.

5. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

@NavyChief20 can help you.

6. JG77777Valued MemberMember

Ok thanks!

7. A201Well Known MemberMember

If you choose Convicts, only get one and be sure its a male.

8. JG77777Valued MemberMember

Is there anything else i might be able to add?

9. A201Well Known MemberMember

There are several compatable Central American Cichlids and a few South American Cichlids I can think of, but they all get as big or bigger than a JD.
    Look into getting male & female Electric Blue JD's. They are smaller and a bit more mellow than a standard JD.

10. DanInJakartaValued MemberMember

These are with my Jack Dempsey

2-Electric yellow African-Labidochromis caeruleus
    1-Three spot gourami-Trichopodus trichopterus var. opaline
    1-Honey gourami-Trichogaster chuna
    2-Electric blue Jack Dempsey S. American cichlid-Rocio octofasciata
    1-Rainbow shark-Epalzeorhynchos frenatum
    1-Bluegray mbuna-Melanochromis johannii
    4-Tiger barbs-Puntigrus tetrazona
    3-Tiger barbs-Puntigrus tetrazona var. green
    1-Black ghost knifefish-Apteronotus albifrons
    1-Blood red parrot-no species as this is a hybrid of unsure lineage
    3-Zebra talapia-Heterotilapia buttikoferi.
    1-Convict-Amatitlania nigrofasciata

In the other tank, one JD with 4 angels, pink danios, a loach, 2 bala sharks, 4 snow white cichlids (albino) and an Indian botia.

Don't have any problems.

Good luck.

11. JG77777Valued MemberMember

What size tanks are these???

Also Dawn where did u get the rocks you have in your JDs tank?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2019
  12. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

My Jacks sadly are by themselves now as is Todd, and Leviticus, and the Terrors. All my warriors are in 120 gallon to 550 and either have a mate of the same species or in Leviticus (jaguar) he has a sail fin marble pleco buddy.

The only jack i have that is actuall not aggressive is Dionysus who is with an Electric Blue Crayfish. Oddly they get along.

13. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Well the worst fish to consider as tankmates are obviously other cichlids. Cichlids are territorial so putting them together in tanks smaller than their territories is just asking for trouble. It works with Malawis but not much else.

JDs are usually quite peaceful as far as cichlids go, as long as they’re not in with fish that will bring out their aggression. Medium sized Barbs (filaments, arulius, clowns, lineatus etc), silver dollars (the spotty ones stay quite small), all make good tankmates. Obviously they’ll need a bigger tank in time...
    also any armoured cats bigger than a Cory should work.

14. JG77777Valued MemberMember

Ok maybe I will pass on the Jd? What about firemouths??? How many of them could I have and what m to f ratio should i have?

15. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

JDs are much more personable than Firemouths. I have both and my firemouths to be honest i am probably going to give to a friend of mine whose wife is also a cichlid keeper. Jacks are just cool. They're ornery and temperamental and eat like pigs but thats why i love em. My Oscar Todd actually grew up with JDs and i have often thought about putting Haephestus (his JD juvenile friend) in the tank with him. They use to swim around like kids cruising the neighborhood on their bikes.

16. JG77777Valued MemberMember

Yes Im sure they probably are but I would want to be able to have multiple or one with a mate or two. Im assuming a firemouth and Jd are out of the picture?

17. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Firemouths live in groups. But when they pair up they leave the group to breed, and you’d need more than a 45g.
    One on it’s own would just be stressed. And they’re not capable of standing up for themselves against anything like a JD, if it came to it.

Why not raise a few JDs and end up with a pair? If you can find somewhere for the fry...

18. JG77777Valued MemberMember

Ok would I be able to have anything else in with a pair? Maybe a Clown Pleco???

19. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Probably not.

20. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

Absolutely you can have a clown pleco