Jack Dempsey Sick?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Zoom5000111, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Zoom5000111New MemberMember

Hey guys I'm new to this forum so i dont know if this is the right place to post this or not...
    I've had aquariums for a while now but only about a year ago I started to really learn about them and how they work and all that.
    Anyways recently I got a jack Dempsey and some cichlids and did a cichlid tank, my jack was doing fine since I got him (maybe a month ago) but now he has this small bit of white fuzzy sorta stuff hanging off him from a single point behind his pectoral fin, it didn't seem to harm him in anyway right now but what is it? Will it harm him? How can I get rid of it if anyone knows.... I have pictures but it's kinda hard to see what it really looks like

Attached Files:

2. RAM3234New MemberMember

I know this won’t help you but the same thing is happening to one of my bettas

3. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

Hey man,
    Do you have a spare tank? Get him out of the tank el pronto into some nice clean water.

You may start seeing it in the tank mates as well.

4. Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore!

It will help us figure this out with you if you can tell us a few things about your tank.

what's your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?

what else is in the tank and when did you add the newest fish?

the white stuff is a bit hard to see, but it could be a fungus or bacterial infection... knowing about your water quality will help us figure it out with you :)

that was my first concern, too, but i was hoping the OP could give more info in case it's fungal not bacterial (columnaris).... for the sake of the OP i hope it's not! :(

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2018
  5. RAM3234New MemberMember

I got my betta in my Quarantine tank and the white spot is actually a flake of white stuff

6. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

Its called Columnaris.

Cottony growth near the gills or mouth. It can wipe out your tank.

Yeah, based on the picture it looks like Columnaris to me. That and the location. Salting helps alot. As you know it is lethal within 24 hours if untreated

7. Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

Yep, knew about how bad it is, but thank you for the info on where it starts. that's really helpful. :)

8. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

My neighbor had a wicked case of this. Unfortunately they didnt ask me about it right away and they used the same net from their sick oscar tank on their peacock tank. Wiped them all out.

9. Zoom5000111New MemberMember

I do have a spare tank but it's not cycled

I ran outta test supply's 2 days ago I'm gonna go get more after work and then post the water parameters but Ik that the ammonia is at a sutible level and last time I checked nitrite and nitrate where as well

10. Zoom5000111New MemberMember

Update got new test gear hears my water parameters ammonia = <0.02 ppm nitrite = 0 nitrate = 0 ph = 8 temp = 24.2 c

11. Zoom5000111New MemberMember

Just did a 50% water change hopefully that helps? I have no idea what this is growing on my jack, however it's been 24hr since I noticed it and it dosnt seem to have affected him yet or gotten any bigger, could turning up the temperature possibly help like Ich?

12. Zoom5000111New MemberMember

How can I treat this is this is the case? What causes it?

13. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

to treat it:
    • Change water
    • Vacuum gravel
    • Add aquarium salt
    • Treat with antibiotic
    • Discontinue carbon filtration during treatment
    make sure you clean your nets! the nets are what spread it for my neighbor

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice