Jack Dempsey Sex?

Discussion in 'Jack Dempsey' started by CodeSensei, Jul 12, 2015.

1. C

CodeSensei New Member Member

Can you help identify if jack dempsey is male or female?

The darker one is about 5 inches.
    The lighter one is about 3 inches.

Here are the pics:

2. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Ken

4. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Often the only time that you can determine the gender of any given fish (and cichlids are a great example of this) is only when they are preparing to spawn, when you can see a difference in colour, behavior, or in the genital papalie,, etc., but are otherwise are basically sexually monomorphic the rest of the time.
    I think that they do it simply to irritate people:), but in any regard, such is the case-best. rick

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  5. OP
    OP
    C

Wow, thanks soo much for your reply! I thought it was female because it wasnt colorful.
    I bought it at petsmart and the fish was in the same tank as the JD,,,,,ok,,,,gonna go switch him out.

I found this article that may help others:

6. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

My honest observation.... the JD is a bit washed out too. They need decor... wood, plants, more wood. You need to half fill that tank with decor. They're "on show" right now with nowhere to go for some 'privacy'. Give them lots of stuff to hide in and disappear behind. That will make them relaxed, and you'll see just as much of them, but better colours and more natural behaviour. They look stressed. Washed out, and they don't normally sit on the bottom...

:)

7. OP
    OP
    C

Thanks for the honesty, it will help me. I just setup the tank 2 days ago, and the pic was taken without fish tank lights. Im planning to get the 48"-60" USA satellite plus LED for my 55 gallon tank. Yes, its lacking decor right now,,,,its on its way.

As far as sitting on the bottom, my only guess is they are bit scared to the new tank. I noticed at night(lights off), they are really active, especially the JD. The pellet food stays on top the whole day, but looks like they eat it at night.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice