Jack Dempsey question (with pictures) 40 Gallon Tank

1. blueiristyson Member Member

:;f:;fb:;fb:;f Here is the Story of my JD. I was at pet supplies plus in Chicago browsing the fish. I was thinking about getting a couple convicts for my cycled 40 gallon tank. While I was looking I saw what appeared to be a Jack Dempsey in a tank full of Green Terrors.

I asked the employee there why was a single JD in a tank full of green terror's?? He informed me that the fish was a Green Terror and not a JD. I asked him if he was sure and he said yes. I said " Ok then, give me that "Green Terror" and I bought it( I knew it was a JD but I didn't want to argue with the employee).

I brought the JD home and put it in my cycled 40 Gallon and he has been happy,active and healthy every since. It was about 3 inches when I first got it and now it is 5 inches and I have only had it 3 1/2 monthes. This JD loves to eat and I feed him a staple of flakes and pellets and live mealworms,crickets,waxworms,red wiggler worms and frozen(then thawed) blood worms. His favorite treats are Live/frozen blood worms and mealworms.

I keep a single piece of driftwood and a slate rock structure in his tank so he has 2 places to sleep/hide. Since I only have a 40 gallon for the moment I don't want to put too much stuff in it's tank for it needs room to swim.

This fish always wants to eat and bugs me to death when I enter the room trying to get my attention (Kinda like a dog before feeding time) but I do my best to try and not overfeed it. This Jack Dempsey is the best fish I have ever owned and I am so glad I bought this " Green Terror" ...lol.

Ok, enough rambling...My question is-- My Jd is kinda light colored compared to some of the other pictures of JD's I have seen.It kind has a pink base color to it. Will it darken up as it mature's? It does get dark when it gets excited when it see's I am about to feed it but most of the time it is the color you see in the pics.

Hope you enjoy the pic's, I just took them tonight. I sorry I keep calling my JD an "it". I do this because I still don't know the sex of it. Half the people I ask say male and half say female.I guess I will never know.

40 gallon tank
    300 watt heater
    2 emperor 300 HOB filters
    0 Nitrate
    0 nitrites
    0 ammonia
    pH 7.8
    water hardness- Hard
    Temperature - 78-80 degree's

Attached Files:

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

3. TaylormadeR7 Member Member

It's a male. I'm 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999% sure of that.
    The light colored substrate and being new to a tank will wash out his color. Take a picture with no flash. See how he looks.
    As I mentioned before he has a golden (not pink) base to him. It's possible he's from a gold jd and regular jd spawn. The gold jd is a color variant of the jack dempsey. Just like the blue variant.

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

He's a gold JD male and an absolutely gorgeous one at that.:)

5. blueiristyson Member Member

Thank you Taylormade!! My question of sex with my JD has been answersed and I will no longer call him an "It". This board is awesome,glad I joined!!

6. blueiristyson Member Member

Thank you Bolivianbaby for saying he is gorgeous!! He is one of a kind, that's for sure. Your location say's your in Georgia..I was born,raised and lived all my life in Marietta Georgia before I moved to Chicago....God I miss Georgia..lol.

Happy Holidays!!

7. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I've gotten some great Craigslist tanks from Marietta;D We lived in Palos Heights IL for a year back in the 70's. We still have family up there.

How long ago did you move?

8. blueiristyson Member Member

I moved 2 years ago for a job and I hate it here. I was born in Decatur,grew up in Atlanta and live in Marietta and Woodstock for many years. It's look like you live near the Falcons Training camp.

9. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

How's the job?

We live 5 minutes away from the Falcon's training camp. :)

10. blueiristyson Member Member

Well after a year of this job I had I was laid off. I have no reason to stay here and want to go back home.The reason I am staying is because of my JD. I don't think he could survive a trip to georgia and I don't want to give him away. I know that sounds funny but he is the only reason I am staying:;fru

I don't want to give him away because in my mind no one can take care of him better than me so I guess I am stuck here for the remainder of his natural life which can be up to 15 years. The Falcons are doing pretty good this year, the Chicago Bears on the other hand......

11. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Why don't you think he'd survive a trip back to GA? My regular JD pair was rescued by a friend of mine from HORRIBLE conditions. They bounced back under her care and they've been doing great with me as well.

If you truly want to come back to GA and you don't want your JD to travel with you, overnight him here (when the weather is better), I can take care of him until you physically get down here and set up and we can get him back to you. Both Marietta and ATL are only about an hour from me. No problems. I have empty tanks.

12. blueiristyson Member Member

I will definatly keep that in my mind as an option if/when I decide to move. Thanks for the offer:;dogrun