Jack Dempsey poop sits on sand

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by CodeSensei, Jul 15, 2015.

1. C

CodeSensei New Member Member

I just bought a 55 gallon tank(20 inch high), and noticed the Jack Dempsey poop is just sitting on the sand. The poop is all on the left side of tank. The filter HOB is on the right side of tank.

The poop is visually noticeable, since the sand is light and the poop is dark color.

I have a fluval 70 filter HOB.

Should I buy a powerhead to try to get the poop and uneaten food to flow up to the filter?
    Should I just keep the poop on the sand and let the nitrogen process take its course?
    Should I gravel clean the sand once a week? I dont want to do this,,,too much work.

2. T

Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

My advice to you would be to purchase from your LFS, a Gravel Vaccum
    You use this when performing the water changes, and it will " suck " up the poop, and any other particulate material, along with the water you will throw out.
    You need to perform this task once a week, every week, along with the water change.
    if you think this is too much hard work, then you really should think again about keeping fish, as this will only take about 10 minutes of your time.

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I highly agree... There's just no getting around routine maintenance if you want to keep a fish tank. Nor are there any excuses for doing regular water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. a

amydeb Valued Member Member

I have a 75 gallon and a 10 gallon tank. It takes me all of 20 minutes per week to do water changes in both. I changed my substrate to sand last week so I have not done a water change on it yet but I would imagine it will take even less time now because I won't have to dig around in the gravel to get all the dirt. It's very little time to spend to keep my tank clean, the water balanced and my fish healthy.

5. Theman1

Theman1 Valued Member Member

I like to use sponge filters in all of my tanks. I have an Oscar in my 90 gallon tank. He is a huge waste producer. The good thing about the sponge filter is that all of the waste seems to gather under the sponge filter. So I take 5 minutes and lift up the filter and stick the gravel vac right there. Seeing fish waste on the bottom of the tank can be very unsightly. I Do this maybe twice a week plus my normal gravel vac during my weekly water change.

6. OP
    OP
    C

Thats a great idea. Will I be able to add a sponge filter considering I have sand? How high is your sponge from the bottom of your substrate?

After some more researching, looks like a powerhead or 2 can lift the poo until it gets to the filter.
    I think I will try this.

Has anyone tried this on a 55 gal tank(48 x 13 x 20)?
    And suggest what brand and flow strength needed?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2015
  7. Theman1

Theman1 Valued Member Member

I tried using powerhead in numerous tanks to try and remove dead spots but never had any luck. I always played around putting them in different spots but it never seemed to work. It's also very difficult with sand.

The sponge filter trick works for me. It keeps the tank looking neat until I can gravel vac it out. And it also adds a little more filtration,while it's not much it helps a bit. This is the one I have. I got it for $6.00 from amazon. Don't mind the diatoms on the glass I'm doing a water change as i type this haha.
    [​IMG]

8. SnyperTodd

SnyperTodd Valued Member Member

I disagree with the notion that you have to do water changes every single week or your fish will suffer. If you have the time, fine, do it. But it's wrong to suggest someone is unfit for this hobby if they choose a different water change schedule. I have been keeping fish for well over 20 years, I do water changes on all my tanks every other week, all my fish are healthy, vibrant, and many are 5-10+ years old. Find a schedule that works for you and your fish, don't let anyone make you feel bad because you do things different than they do.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. OP
    OP
    C

I agree with SnyperTodd for disagreeing!!

You definitely dont need water changes every week, unless your tank is 2 gallons or less with lotta fish in it. I have a 10 gallon tank as well and I can go 3 weeks without any traces of ammonia and nitrite, but have nitrate, which tells me the bacteria colony is doing its job. And I only have 4 small fish in it.

UPDATE: So I put the filter on the left side of tank (where most of the poo was sitting). Within a few minutes, a tornado like swirl picked up the poo and into the filter. The only poo remaining is under and inside the claypot now. But lot of the poo is gone now.

I guess adding another filter(1 on left and 1 on right) will make the ground cleaner. I plan on buying a canister, but I wont do that till maybe next year. As a cheaper route, and to make the fish more happy, I plan on buying a powerhead to hopefully swirl up the poo.

BTW, the fluval 70 filter I have is great, because the water intake tube comes with an extension, so the intake opening is about 6" from the bottom, enough height to pick up the poo from bottom, yet keep the sand in place.

10. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm agreeing with you on this one. If I were to do water changes every week, my nitrates would be null and that could be dangerous because of the backlash and possible cyanobacteria issues. When I do a water change every other week, my pH is holding steady and my nitrates are still 10 ppm or so. Keep in mind I have a heavily planted tank and a small stocking list of fish.

11. a

amydeb Valued Member Member

Please do not misunderstand. I wasn't trying to suggest someone was unfit or trying to make anyone feel bad. My 75g tank just recently cycled and as my ammonia/nitrites goes to 0, I have been adding fish. The 10g is "well stocked" (newbie mistakes) so both of these conditions make weekly water changes necessary. I am going to happily go to an every other week schedule on the 75g once my bacteria is holding it's own. The 10g... well, I have to figure that one out yet.
    Anyway, the OP stated that weekly vac was too much work, I was simply pointing out that I can fly through mine in 20 minutes. Right now, weekly is what I have to do.
    Hey, I only judge people for not doing right, I never judge for doing "different". lol That would be awfully hypocritical of me.

12. SnyperTodd

SnyperTodd Valued Member Member

amydeb, your reply was fine. :) I was responding to an earlier reply. Some people seem to forget that there isn't necessarily a "right" way to do everything in this hobby; there's a way that works for you and your fish, and a way that works for me and my fish. Neither way is wrong.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

13. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice