Jack Dempsey, Need Someone’s Knowledge On Them Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Gunnar, Apr 10, 2019.

1. GunnarNew MemberMember

Hi all, I need someone with experience/ knowledge on the jack dempseys, I already have a jack dempsey I’m pretty sure is female, I’ve heard having a male and female together the male could end up killing the female and that two males just wouldn’t work, I’d really like to know if there would be any problems with having just two females, I love jack dempseys and would love to have two in my tank unless it’s a complete no no, then I’ll just stick with the one, thanks

2. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Click on the word "Jack Dempsy" that was highlighted in your first post. That will bring you to a page with info on them.

3. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

What size is the tank?

4. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Two females might work, or might not. Yours might be territorial and not accept another female in the tank... or it might not be bothered. You won’t know till you try. Same with a male and female. They might accept each other and form a pair (which will breed), or they might not. They choose their mates carefully, so you never know till you find out.

5. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Hi. I have a JD named Rocky in a 72 gallon Bow Front tank. He's about 10 inches long. I thought I would get him a girlfriend named Adrian. BIG mistake. He beat her up and put her in the hospital. She healed up nicely and is going back to the LFS and Rocky will be single the rest of his life. It might work for you and it might not.

6. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

This doesn’t mean a female can’t be added, just not that one...

7. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

I guess you can do 2 female's.