Jack dempsey male or female?

arai82

jack dempsey male or female **NEW PICS**

hey just wondering if u guys could help me out... male or female? these are some new pics wit a better camera but the quality is still not to great....

***********NEW PICS***********

Attachments

• 71.jpg
    71.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 821
  • 88.jpg
    88.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 641
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 809
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 699
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,281

Aquarist

Hello Arai82 and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I'm sure one of our members will respond before long. Beautiful fish!

Please note that I've deleted your duplicate thread. It will be a lot less confusing to other members.

I hope you enjoy the site.
Ken

arai82

in the first 2 pictures that's one dempsey and the last 3 pictures that's another fish... please let me kno which jack is a male/female... the last 3 picture dempsey is longer and seems to hav pointed dorsal fins.... thanks guys

Charlene

They are too small to determine sex.

To tell the sex on jd's is by the gill plate. Females will have what look like splotches on the lower half of the gill plate, where's males would not.
I use to go by the dorsal fin but soon got corrected.

arai82

yea I know there still young but I saw couple people here askin for help on what there dempsey were and they seem too be the same size.. so I thought I'll put mine up and plus, u guys can check out the pics of themm..

it will be great if u can help me out if not... stil thanks for checkin them out...

Charlene

I can't really tell from the pics. The second one looks to be male but a clearer pic would help out quite a bit. Might not help that I'm using the iPhone at the moment. The pic is a little dark to be 100%.

arai82

heres some better pics... I took off the first dempseys pictures cause I don't hav him/her anymore.. my buddy took him/her... so help me sexing this one....

thanks guys

Charlene

As I said before, too young to tell.

arai82

heres some new pictures of the JD

Charlene

Ok, Looks male but as said on the other forum, not 100% as still looks small to tell.

How big is it?

arai82

he's almost 2.5" if not bit bigger...

Charlene

I'm still not 100% happy saying male. I would be happy to say when it's a little bigger.

blueiristyson

In my experience with JD's I would have to say you have a female. I am pretty sure of this from the pictures but not 100 % sure.

Good Luck!

sankapup

Male or female? Too young to tell? I can get more
803C5867-BC01-43E9-A720-C2F71126FDFB.jpeg pics tomorrow, it’s a little bigger now than when I got this photo.

Rainbows and Fishes

I'd say female based on her shape

sankapup

Here’s another photo to try and show her spots.
E3C8A5B7-EA82-4330-9C5A-1F5559E16F71.jpeg

Cichlidnut

Looks male to me.

sankapup

Most recent and best photo I have. There are some faint splotches under the cheek area.
46484A80-605F-4387-ABD4-3489052D3919.jpeg

Fashooga

I think it’s a male. Females have spots, a lot of spots that cover the lower jaw, like a beard.

Little John

Is it a male or female?
Screenshot_2018-09-10-08-26-31.jpg

A201

My guess is that your JD is a male. Spangled directly behind the eyes. No spangles by the mouth and pointed Dorsal and analfins.

Little John

Good because I really want a male.

Fuzzyfishkeeper

nice fish what ph do you keep it at

Little John

It is at about 6.8

Fuzzyfishkeeper

ya sounds right someone said their jack dempsey lived at 8..2 so weird that makes no scientific sense

Little John

They can go from 6.0 to 8.0

Fuzzyfishkeeper

ya but they'll eventually die due to their enzymes being denatured and then the jack dempsey would have to use more energy which would cause stress and later death or disease.

Little John

Will mine die?

Does it need to be at a different PH

A201

JD'S originate from Central America northward to southern Mexico. The lakes and stream beds are primarily limestone.
Most bodies of water in that region will likely have a much higher PH as compared to most bodies of water in South America.
Central American fish thrive in similar water parameters as African Rift Lake Cichlids. That being said, JD'S are very sturdy,
adaptable fish and usually have no trouble acclimating to most water parameters.

Little John

Will 6.8 work.

Or do I need to make it higher

Fuzzyfishkeeper

Will 6.8 work.
your jack dempsey will be more then fine great 6.8 is close to its optimal temp and if you get its temp to its optimal temp somewhere around 80 idk whatever its temp should be will make it live better and a lot longer so as long as you keep the parameters good and make sure that it has places to move and not have to fight over room it will do good and make sure it has a healthy diet. PS I would like to see another jack dempsey picture their really cool

Little John

Fuzzy fish keeper he I'd at 80 to 81 and this is the best picture I could get he is still really scared I got him 3 days ago
20180911_185026.jpg
20180910_073717.jpg

Little John

I'll try to get better ones soon

Fuzzyfishkeeper

okay good luck do you other fish in that tank and how many gallons are in it

Little John

I have 5.5 betta tank a empty 90 and a 29 quarentene.

Fuzzyfishkeeper

what do you mean by empty like empty of water or empty of fish

Little John

Empty of water and fish it will be set up in a few months

Fuzzyfishkeeper

so the dempsey in 29

Little John

No the smallest a demsy can be in is a 55 and he is in my 55

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views