Jack Dempsey Male or female?

Mollymommy11

Reaction score
HI guys! I need some help! Is this a male or female Jack Dempsey? I appreciate your help.

STORY: A couple didn't want the Jack Dempsey anymore. They told me it was a female, but the guy at the lFS says male...so I dunno. I was told they didn't do much with him/her for 2 months. I have no clue what happened to her/his tail and fins (JD looked like that when I got it). If I didn't take the JD then and there I'm sure it would have been dead by now.

Attachments

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Giving this a bump up for you hope our ‘Jack’ keepers can help you today

OP
Mollymommy11

Mollymommy11

Reaction score
Thank you! I appreciate it.

Coradee said:
Giving this a bump up for you hope our ‘Jack’ keepers can help you today

FitSoldier

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wow! I just want you to know I am super jealous of you! :p
Attached picture is a perfect example of what a female Jack Dempsey looks like compared to a male. Females tend to have far more colour near or on the gill plates while males have less colour on the gill plates and more colour overall. Furthermore, males can reach up to 9" in size while females usually will get to about 6" - 7".

Could you possibly take a few more pictures of its side? I want to be certain.

OP
Mollymommy11

Mollymommy11

Reaction score
Awww. I just had to take her. I was so afraid she'd die in that bucket. The old owners didn't want anything to do with her anymore. I couldn't believe she sat in a tank for 2 months and they did nothing with her. It broke my heart. She is real sweet and loves attention. She's so spoiled now. Lol. Thank you for replying. I REALLY appreciate it. Thanks for the photo. Are they your JD's? They are beautiful. I can do that now. Just give me a min to take a few photos. :)

FitSoldier said:
Wow! I just want you to know I am super jealous of you! :p
Attached picture is a perfect example of what a female Jack Dempsey looks like compared to a male. Females tend to have far more colour near or on the gill plates while males have less colour on the gill plates and more colour overall. Furthermore, males can reach up to 9" in size while females usually will get to about 6" - 7".

Could you possibly take a few more pictures of its side? I want to be certain.

FitSoldier

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Mollymommy11 said:
Awww. I just had to take her. I was so afraid she'd die in that bucket. The old owners didn't want anything to do with her anymore. I couldn't believe she sat in a tank for 2 months and they did nothing with her. It broke my heart. She is real sweet and loves attention. She's so spoiled now. Lol. Thank you for replying. I REALLY appreciate it. Thanks for the photo. Are they your JD's? They are beautiful. I can do that now. Just give me a min to take a few photos. :)
No, those are not mine. That's just an example picture I got. This is my male Jack Dempsey. Attached. :)
I actually edited my post. I take back what I said I'm not entirely sure if yours is a female or a male. I need some more pictures of its side to be certain.

IMG_7445.JPG

OP
Mollymommy11

Mollymommy11

Reaction score
I really need to clean the glass on my tank. I can see my nephews have had their hands all over the glass. Lol. I hope these help. I can get more. Had to get a fish to stay still long enough for pics. Awww, he's handsome.

Attachments

New Threads