Jack Dempsey Hiding Spots

Rattliffc12

First off, sorry for flooding the forum. I am in desperate search for some good hiding objects big enough for my JD. I have one Terra Cotta Pot in the tank and he uses it some but I would like to give him some more spots. I have been to a bunch of pet stores and am having trouble finding things large enough for him that don't risk him hurting himself trying to hide in it. Has anyone faced this battle before, I would love any suggestions.

Shawnie

deep caves are mines favorite spots...I have like a fake log that works out into a cave and they spawn and hide in there all the time....

bolivianbaby

Please, never apologize for asking questions. We're all here to learn from each other.

With that said, I took a few pics of some of my JD hiding places to help give you some ideas. In fact, I sent one of my JD's into a tizzy since he hates the camera. But it's all for a good cause, so he'll get over it. In another tank, my convict female had to stop and say hello.

I hope these help. the blurry one shows the holes under the female buddha that the JD's can get through.

Attachments

• Castle.JPG
    Castle.JPG
    416.3 KB · Views: 455
  • Fem Buddha.JPG
    Fem Buddha.JPG
    352.3 KB · Views: 516
  • Fem Buddha Holes.JPG
    Fem Buddha Holes.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 397
  • Log Cave Thing.JPG
    Log Cave Thing.JPG
    410.2 KB · Views: 362
  • Rock Cage.JPG
    Rock Cage.JPG
    387.1 KB · Views: 318

bolivianbaby

I've got one more for ya! That's one of my fem JD's in this pic.

Attachments

• Slant Rock Cave.JPG
    Slant Rock Cave.JPG
    326.5 KB · Views: 396

steve_58

My personal preference is natural stones and driftwood.

Rattliffc12

I am really trying to find something around a cave like formation. PVC was suggested earlier to me in a different thread, I am hesitant to put PVC in because I'm worried it may be too small, the largest they make is 4inch diameter. He trys to fit places he won't. What do you all think?

btate617

Go to home depot or some place like it.
You can look for a PVC "T". You should be able to find them up to 12" in size.

Brian

Shawnie

I am really trying to find something around a cave like formation. PVC was suggested earlier to me in a different thread, I am hesitant to put PVC in because I'm worried it may be too small, the largest they make is 4inch diameter. He trys to fit places he won't. What do you all think?

they will DEFINITELY try to fit into something they cant..especially if skittish already...make sure whatever you get, is large enough...ive made the mistake of that and had to heal up one of mine from trying to go into something he shouldnt have...

Rattliffc12

Ok, I got some PVC they guys at Home Dept. Told me the largest Diameter ANY pvc came in was 4". It is a Cross T. It has no sharp edges and he fitts in it. I will get some pics. He likes it so much he does not want to come out of it

btate617

Maybe PVC is the word that is not working.
Most PVC is black yes.

I have seen huge T's at Home Depot, Rona, McDermit Lumber, however they are white in color not black. Even the little mom + pop shops carry them. Look in the back of Home Depot by The long( like 20' piece of copper used for water lines) that is where I have always found them. They make T's over 4" maybe not called PVC but they are there.

But if you found something great!

Brian

Rattliffc12

It isn't exactly aesthetic, but he seems to like it

Rattliffc12

Do you all think the position he is in (slanted) while in the PVC is normal/ok?

Shawnie

it won't hurt him but it just lets you know hes bigger than the pvc pipe and might need something else

crazy4fish_123

get a couple clay pots from like home depot or lowes.

Arianna7

Hello I need advice please I adopted my fish almost a year ago he was fine I bought him a cave in August he loved it after that he was ok he spends a lot of time in it but from October he got wild more and more now he came out only for food or swimming only at night he is very spooky fish but this cave made him very wild his water is good as always nothing been changed I'm very worrying about him but I know JD like to hide but past month he comes only to eat and eat one pellet hide than came out take another and hide again even in December he spend half of day without cave what should I do please help

Passionfish

Hello I need advice please I adopted my fish almost a year ago he was fine I bought him a cave in August he loved it after that he was ok he spends a lot of time in it but from October he got wild more and more now he came out only for food or swimming only at night he is very spooky fish but this cave made him very wild his water is good as always nothing been changed I'm very worrying about him but I know JD like to hide but past month he comes only to eat and eat one pellet hide than came out take another and hide again even in December he spend half of day without cave what should I do please help
How big is your tank?

jdhef

Hi Arianna. Welcome to FishLore!

I've never kept a Jack Demsey, so I can offer any help at all. Hopefully someone who can help will be along soon.

Best of luck!

Arianna7

Hi Arianna. Welcome to FishLore!

I've never kept a Jack Demsey, so I can offer any help at all. Hopefully someone who can help will be along soon.

Best of luck!
Ok thanks hopefully

Madchild57

Do you know how old the fish was when you adopted it? Was it full size?
EDIT: I have a little bit of experience with cichlids that hang out in caves. They love caves and want to defend it from any passers by. I don't know if dither fish are important for bigger cichlids but I know for smaller ones you sort of need to show them that it's safe in the tank and that encourages them to come out. With that being said, it seems like this fish is experiencing a change in its typical behavior.
In my experience with other fish, if you run a tank for a certain amount of time and you keep everything constant and an issue arises, it's not typically something bad. For example, you have a fish for a year and it starts hiding and acting weird and you didn't do anything different, it's probably not parasitic worms that you read about online. I am thinking it's something with the environment (water quality) or maybe the fish is getting old depending on how big it was when you first adopted it. Did you do anything different? New tank mates, moving houses, moving tanks?

Arianna7

Do you know how old the fish was when you adopted it? Was it full size?
EDIT: I have a little bit of experience with cichlids that hang out in caves. They love caves and want to defend it from any passers by. I don't know if dither fish are important for bigger cichlids but I know for smaller ones you sort of need to show them that it's safe in the tank and that encourages them to come out. With that being said, it seems like this fish is experiencing a change in its typical behavior.
In my experience with other fish, if you run a tank for a certain amount of time and you keep everything constant and an issue arises, it's not typically something bad. For example, you have a fish for a year and it starts hiding and acting weird and you didn't do anything different, it's probably not parasitic worms that you read about online. I am thinking it's something with the environment (water quality) or maybe the fish is getting old depending on how big it was when you first adopted it. Did you do anything different? New tank mates, moving houses, moving tanks?
Hi thank you for reply he is maximum 5 years old not more nothing change and I do tests almost every week nothing change he always loved this cave I know JD always hiding not everyone I see videos on instagram youtube but mine hiding a lot now he is coming to eat take one pellet and hide right away than comes for another pellet and back to cave today he even left 2 pellets he always was hungry I don't know what happened he is very spooky fish he see something and run and sometimes smack his face on the glass or at something else he swimming only at night he been like that since he got his cave but before breakfast or dinner he was always dancing now he is more afraid we love him very much I don't know why he is afraid if us and now this even worst

Arianna7

Now my fish breathes heavily & he swims lethargically

Passionfish

You asked me how big tank is and....? That's all u know
I did it so that an expert on south american cichlids could inform you without having to ask that question. I can help more.
What are your water parameters?
How often do you feed him?
Do you clean up uneaten food?
How often do you change his water, and how much?
If it is an emergency, it would really benefit if you had filled out the emergency template.
Please do it now.

Arianna7

I did it so that an expert on south american cichlids could inform you without having to ask that question. I can help more.
What are your water parameters?
How often do you feed him?
Do you clean up uneaten food?
How often do you change his water, and how much?
If it is an emergency, it would really benefit if you had filled out the emergency template.
Please do it now.
Water changes every week 50%
Water changes every week 50%
I couldn't open the emergency page
NITRATE maximum. 10 in the end of the week
NITRITE 0
AMMONIA 0
PH 6.6 Its low for Jack Dempsey but he used to this Ph for long time and the experts say it’s fine

Coradee

Copy & paste it on here then use the Edit function to add your information

Arianna7

Aquatic Emergency Template | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health Forum | 376562
Hello my fish very spooky fish and he loves to hide but a week ago it's was already night and dark in the room I heard him spooked bumbam boom true the glass I don't know after that he got more scared he eats take one pellet and go back to his cave came back for another and back to cave he don't eat more than 2.3 pellets I always give him 5-6 pellets and he is always hungry and dancing and asking for more food but yesterday I saw what he breathing heavily fast and today when he swims in morning he was little sluggish please help I love him so much
Aquatic Emergency Template | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health Forum | 376562
Hello my fish very spooky fish and he loves to hide but a week ago it's was already night and dark in the room I heard him spooked bumbam boom true the glass I don't know after that he got more scared he eats take one pellet and go back to his cave came back for another and back to cave he don't eat more than 2.3 pellets I always give him 5-6 pellets and he is always hungry and dancing and asking for more food but yesterday I saw what he breathing heavily fast and today when he swims in morning he was little sluggish please help I love him so much
ITS A JACK DEMPSEY
ITS A JACK DEMPSEY

Copy & paste it on here then use the Edit function to add your information
I just posted it I think I did right

Passionfish

ITS A JACK DEMPSEY

ITS A JACK DEMPSEY

I just posted it I think I did right
No you just described your situation again. You have to use the template to fill out all of the parameters of the water, and all that kind of stuff. We already know the problem, but we need some facts to be able to help you. I will post it for you in this thread.
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?
How long has the tank been running?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What is the water temperature?
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
How much of the water do you change?
What do you use to treat your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
What do you use to test the water?
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
How much do you feed your fish?
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?

Arianna7

Ammonia 0
pH 6.6
Nitrit 0
Nitrate 5-10
I already told you thati adapted him last April I told this tooits only him in aqurium
Temperature 26
Always the same he has 2 filters aquneon
Heather german emehir or something
Air pumphe has better filter and new aqurium I have it on my balcony I will transfer him in April I can't do that right now because my mom want to move in another apartment the fish live with her, water changes every single week 50%
Ammonia 0
pH 6.6
Nitrit 0
Nitrate 5-10
I already told you thati adapted him last April I told this tooits only him in aqurium
Temperature 26
Air pumphe has better filter and new aqurium I have it on my balcony I will transfer him in April I can't do that right now because my mom want to move in another apartment the fish live with her, water changes every single week 50%
I'm not gonna treat the fish if I don't know his symptoms
He breathing heavily faster he eats less don't ask for food hiding even more than usual he sluggish a little

Passionfish

Ammonia 0
pH 6.6
Nitrit 0
Nitrate 5-10
Temperature 26

I'm not gonna treat the fish if I don't know his symptoms
He breathing heavily faster he eats less don't ask for food hiding even more than usual he sluggish a little
I see. You said he got scared of something and he got banged up at night, correct?

Arianna7

No you just described your situation again. You have to use the template to fill out all of the parameters of the water, and all that kind of stuff. We already know the problem, but we need some facts to be able to help you. I will post it for you in this thread.
Tank
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?

Maintenance

What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

Feeding

Illness & Symptoms
He eat hikilary red midium pellets,hikilary vegetables, omega one shrimps he has 2 fasting days every week
And I didn't see where I can fill out this information
I don't understand where I should do it
I don't think I see this option
I see. You said he got scared of something and he got banged up at night, correct?
Yes not first time but first time at night he even got something on his face I think like from that he smack his face I'm going to see him tomorrow to do an extra water change but he is hiding in the cave I don't think I will see him and to take his cave he definitely will be in a huge stress

Passionfish

He eat hikilary red midium pellets,hikilary vegetables, omega one shrimps he has 2 fasting days every week
And I didn't see where I can fill out this information
I don't understand where I should do it
I don't think I see this option

Yes not first time but first time at night he even got something on his face I think like from that he smack his face I'm going to see him tomorrow to do an extra water change but he is hiding in the cave I don't think I will see him and to take his cave he definitely will be in a huge stress
Copy and paste it in the reply box and answer the questions.

Arianna7

Tank
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?

Maintenance

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

Feeding

Illness & Symptoms
NITRITE 0
AMMONIA 0
PH 6.6 Its low for Jack Dempsey but he used to this Ph for long time and the experts say it’s fine2 aquneon filters,air pump,heater water 26
It's only one fish I have him from April
NITRITE 0
AMMONIA 0
PH 6.6 Its low for Jack Dempsey but he used to this Ph for long time and the experts say it’s fine2 aquneon filters,air pump,heater water 26
Im sorry this site is so confusing I see my reply like 100 times what should I cut and past I already answered all questions I just don't see where it's go

AggressiveAquatics

NITRITE 0
AMMONIA 0

Im sorry this site is so confusing I see my reply like 100 times what should I cut and past I already answered all questions I just don't see where it's go
It’s alright. Just copy and paste this and then write your answer next to the question.

Tank
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?

Maintenance

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

Feeding

Illness & Symptoms

Arianna7

It’s alright. Just copy and paste this and then write your answer next to the question.

Tank
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?

Maintenance

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:5-10
pH:6.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 2 times 5 days a week
How much do you feed your fish? 5-6 pellets
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hikilary
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No not anymore

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Almost one year
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? He is always hiding like don't trust us when I get him this cave back in August he loved and hide a lot
But week ago as I said he boomed at night and after that he more afraid to come yesterday I saw him breathing heavily fast and today my mom said he swim sluggish and like 4 days he don't eat well
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Breathing heavily
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Nooo
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? I adopted a year ago he lived in a bad conditions very dirty water and expired food for gold fish but he is a Jack Dempsey
What is the water volume of the tank? Volume I don't know what's mean
How long has the tank been running? From summer
Does it have a filter? 2 aquneon filters
Does it have a heater? Yes of course
What is the water temperature? 26
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Only him

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Every week
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Conditioner seachem and live bacteria
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Yes everytime

AggressiveAquatics

What is the water volume of the tank? Volume I don't know what's mean
How long has the tank been running? From summer
Does it have a filter? 2 aquneon filters
Does it have a heater? Yes of course
What is the water temperature? 26
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Only him

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Every week
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Conditioner seachem and live bacteria
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Yes everytime
Thanks. Do you have a picture of him? Just so we can see if he has any sort of physical injury or infection. To add a picture just click the image icon at the top of where you type

Arianna7

Thanks. Do you have a picture of him? Just so we can see if he has any sort of physical injury or infection. To add a picture just click the image icon at the top of where you type
I don't have pictures I will try make some tomorrow my mom check him well today he doesn't have no cotton, no parasites on him yesterday I saw on his face a little wond probably from that what he smacked him self I will do an extra water change tomorrow
I don't have pictures I will try make some tomorrow my mom check him well today he doesn't have no cotton, no parasites on him yesterday I saw on his face a little wond probably from that what he smacked him self I will do an extra water change tomorrow
He seems like he is very scared when my mom was feeding him like 2 hours ago he ate only 3 pellets didt asked more and like yesterday and days before take 1peelet and go to cave eating it than go take another then go back to the cave
When I get him this cave in August he got very suspicious like don't trust us my mom take a very good care of him she loves animals and animals love her and trust her she a lot of birds but he acting like she is a monster and gonna eat him

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
alex0429
Replies
Views
Rattliffc12
Replies
Views
TyGuy320
Replies
Views