Jack Dempsey Hiding Spots Question

1. Rattliffc12 Member Member

First off, sorry for flooding the forum. I am in desperate search for some good hiding objects big enough for my JD. I have one Terra Cotta Pot in the tank and he uses it some but I would like to give him some more spots. I have been to a bunch of pet stores and am having trouble finding things large enough for him that dont risk him hurting himself trying to hide in it. Has anyone faced this battle before, I would love any suggestions.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

deep caves are mines favorite spots...i have like a fake log that works out into a cave and they spawn and hide in there all the time....

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Please, never apologize for asking questions. We're all here to learn from each other.

With that said, I took a few pics of some of my JD hiding places to help give you some ideas. In fact, I sent one of my JD's into a tizzy since he hates the camera. But it's all for a good cause, so he'll get over it. In another tank, my convict female had to stop and say hello.

I hope these help. the blurry one shows the holes under the female buddha that the JD's can get through.

Attached Files:

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I've got one more for ya! That's one of my fem JD's in this pic.

Attached Files:

5. steve_58 Member Member

My personal preference is natural stones and driftwood.

6. Rattliffc12 Member Member

I am really trying to find something around a cave like formation. PVC was suggested earlier to me in a different thread, I am hesitant to put PVC in because I'm worried it may be too small, the largest they make is 4inch diameter. He trys to fit places he won't. What do you all think?

7. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Go to home depot or some place like it.
    You can look for a PVC "T". You should be able to find them up to 12" in size.

Brian

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

they will DEFINITELY try to fit into something they cant..especially if skittish already...make sure whatever you get, is large enough...ive made the mistake of that and had to heal up one of mine from trying to go into something he shouldnt have...:nono:

9. Rattliffc12 Member Member

Ok, I got some PVC they guys at Home Dept. Told me the largest Diameter ANY pvc came in was 4". It is a Cross T. It has no sharp edges and he fitts in it. I will get some pics. He likes it so much he does not want to come out of it :)

10. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Maybe PVC is the word that is not working.
    Most PVC is black yes.

I have seen huge T's at Home Depot, Rona, McDermit Lumber, however they are white in color not black. Even the little mom + pop shops carry them. Look in the back of Home Depot by The long( like 20' piece of copper used for water lines) that is where I have always found them. They make T's over 4" maybe not called PVC but they are there.

But if you found something great!

Brian

11. Rattliffc12 Member Member

It isnt exactly aesthetic, but he seems to like it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Rattliffc12 Member Member

Do you all think the position he is in (slanted) while in the PVC is normal/ok?

13. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

it wont hurt him but it just lets you know hes bigger than the pvc pipe and might need something else

14. crazy4fish_123 Member Member

get a couple clay pots from like home depot or lowes.