Jack Dempsey help.

Discussion in 'Jack Dempsey' started by MarkCamp3, Aug 3, 2015.

1. MarkCamp3Valued MemberMember

Hey it's been a while. I have had my Jack Dempseys Ina. 55 with an Oscar for about 2 months. However Thursday I moved both male and female Jack Dempsey to their own 55 with a divider that has a hold big enough for just the female to get through in case they have aggression issues. While they were with the Oscar, and convicts, and rainbows they were active and came up to the glass when I was feeding them. Since I moved them on Thursday they have been in hiding and are showing colors of stress. I don't know if it is because of the move or what. My Ali test kit says 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 10 nitrates as of this morning after a water change but they are still hiding. Ph shouldn't matter as i use the same tap water for both tanks. Any idea to help bring them out more or atleast not hide constantly when the lights are on?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Joshua Drake

Joshua DrakeWell Known MemberMember

Jack's aren't big fans of light for one, but sometimes fish can be skiddish. My Jack hid in a corner for first 2 weeks I had her and if I walked up would run right back to hiding. The only way I could see her was from a distance. Just give your jack some time. You should also consider a larger tank. A 55g is no where near large enough for an Oscar little less adding a pair of Jack's and some convicts. Good luck

3. OP
    OP
    M

MarkCamp3Valued MemberMember

The Oscar got moved to a 125, with the convicts.

4. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

You've put the JDs in a different stretch of river where all the other fish are in hiding, which means there could be a predator about. That's probably the way they see it. Fish instincts can be very strong. You should probably add a few dither fish to make them feel safe again.

I'm not a fan of dividers. If you could find a tube that she could fit into but he couldn't, there would probably be no aggression...

5. OP
    OP
    M

I've taken the divider out. They seem to be more social with me but still aren't sure what's up. Sometimes the male will stare me down from across the room, and sometimes he'll run away. There hasn't been any aggression, and it seems they are getting better by the day. So hopefully dithers won't be needed. Pesky things always seem to steal eggs from my convicts.

6. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

I never use dividers for pairs. I've found that if the smaller one (usually female) has a place the bigger one can't fit into, all aggression usually stops.

7. OP
    OP
    M

They haven'tshown any signs of aggression towards eachother. In fact they swim gill to gill almost all the time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice