Jack Dempsey Genders

1. JackDempsey2675 Initiate Member

G'Day,

I've recently recieved two Jack Dempsey's for free. Whilst at work my fiancé has seen the locking lips, ive read on many sites that it can either be for mating or in aggression.. she wasnt sure if it was from aggression or not, since as soon as she moved towards the tank they both stopped and swam to the front of the tank wanting food as usual. (When they get fed enough 3-4 times a day).
    Can anyone help me sex these fish as i dont want them to be fighting and either fish to get hurt..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

No Jack expert but looks male and female to me. Hopefully somebody can confirm.

3. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

I would agree. Top is definitely female, bottom looks male. How big are they?

4. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I am afraid I must disagree, I believe both fish are male. Top fish is just less developed than the dominant fish, or is still healing from having had his fins ripped in the past. The most dependable characteristic for sexing Dempsey is the lower cheeks, which are usually bare on males and have blue iridescent streaks and spots on females.

5. slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

I see 2 males as well.

6. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Agreed. Two males.

7. JackDempsey2675 Initiate Member

Would say the bigger one is about 60mm and the smaller one 50mm

8. JackDempsey2675 Initiate Member

So does the length help?

9. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

It suggests that they are a bit small to sex dependably. The smaller one might still be a female, as Hampalong said. Watch to see if it develops iridescence on the cheeks. Those sizes seem a lot smaller than the fish look in the photos, though.