Jack Dempsey color loss

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by crashcrf, Mar 29, 2010.

1. c

crashcrf New Member Member

Just got a new Jack. About 2 inches. He was pitch black when I picked him up now he is light grey. My water is fine Could it be from a new tank? Or jut stressed because he is the smaller of the cichilds in the tank ?

2. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

JD's change color according to their moods and environment. If he's not showing any other signs of illness, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

What are your exact water parameters?

3. OP
    OP
    c

4. bolivianbaby

Yep, from your parameters, I'd say if he's eating and acting normally, you can chalk it up to "crazy cichlid" life:)

5. OP
    OP
    c

How can I tell if I'm under or over feeding? I have about 8 Africans in s 55 gallon

6. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Is he in with africans?
    This may be the problem, suprisingly, africans are too aggresive for a jack dempsey, especially a youngster.

7. OP
    OP
    c

I bought him from a friend with a 125 gallon with about 60 cichlids in it he was black when I picked him up. Pure black

8. bolivianbaby

Who are his tankmates? Could you upgrade your aquarium information?

9. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

its normal for jacks to go black...moods will do that as others have said...and hes telling you the africans probably arent playing nice.....africans also have different water/food requirements and jd's dont belong in with them :(

10. OP
    OP
    c

I guess he will be less stressed as he gets bigger and becomes more dominant. Maybe more hiding areas. Thanks for the help

11. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

he needs different food(meats) and ph levels than the others...and from my experience with both africans and jd's , he wont ever be able to be more dominant with africans...especially the more the africans grow.....but goodluck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice