jack dempsey breeding

1. nyjets420 Initiate Member

Hello,

I have a 29 gallon with 3 dempseys 2 air paired and recently laid eggs. I had to divide the two males to themselves and let the female tend to the eggs. Yes I know a 29 is too small but I am getting a much larger tank very soon. Today the eggs hatched and there were some wigglers in the gravel. I left for 30 minutes and came back to no wigglers?!?! I have never read about the female eating them. What did I do wrong? Temp, PH, Nitrites/trates n ammonia are all good.

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Jack Dempsey parents don’t often eat their young. Occasionally they will if there are too many threats to the fry in an aquarium with other tank mates. It’s thought that the parents feel that they can’t protect their brood so why let other fish get the protein; they may then eat the fry. Sometimes a male JD gets aggressive after the fry hatch and may become a threat to the babies. He should then be removed to let the female attend to them alone. On occasion you can leave some juveniles in the aquarium with their parents for many weeks. If the parents begin to spawn again, they will certainly see these older juveniles as a threat and begin to attack them. The size of the aquarium has a lot to do with these situations. If any juveniles are left in the home aquarium with the spawning parents, a few may survive if they have shelter.

3. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

great answer wendy. While JD males often do become aggressive, 9 out of 10 times it is the space. A 29g will cause these many issues. a 55g is the minimum i'd recommend for a mated pair of Jack's.

The other 1 out of 10 times is just sometimes the parents turning on the fry, most times people dont know why. They will always usually spawn again and have another go, so dont worry too much :):)

4. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Good responses above. Another contributing factor could be that this is their first time spawning. Often it takes 3-10 times for parents to get it right. Don't worry about them, just let them do their thing. And definitely get a larger tank soon.

5. nyjets420 Initiate Member

yea, the male had no access to the eggs, I have a divider. The female is the only one who could have possibly did anything to them. Now the divider is removed and the female is dominating the male which never happened before the eggs. Always vica-versa.

6. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Yes, good point rogue, i forgot to mention that in my 1 out of 10 comment.

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

All my jd parents raised (hundreds) of fry together. Getting a bigger tank now that you know they are a mating pair, is a must. They will move them often and sometimes when you think they are gone, they re appear. Im sure with lack of space, the divider put in (they raise them together) is causing stress. Great fish so hopefuly you can upgrade your tank soon !

8. nyjets420 Initiate Member

Took the divider out n moved the other male to an older tank. Mating male is still being bullied but ill keep u guys updated. Thanks for the tips

9. nyjets420 Initiate Member

Okay levels are perfect n the male is still bein bullied only them in the tank now. Should I seperate them for a bit? I want them to try n spawn again.

10. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

A 29 gallon tank is not large enough for 1 JD, let alone 3. These guys get big and need territory. The majority of you issues are from lack of space, no getting around that sorry :(

11. nyjets420 Initiate Member

Yea I'm getting a 55. I should jus poney up n get a 100. What would u recommend?

12. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Go for the 100, not a 55. Even a 55 will not be big enough for all three.

13. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Agreed. They dont get as big as most fish they're often classified with, but yes they do get big. Territory is the biggest thing with a JD though.

I agree, go for the 100. 55g is okay i think for 1 mated pair but thats still pushing it and not something i'd always recommend.