jack dempsey and oscar 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Jack Dempsey' started by raam96, Mar 25, 2010.

1. r

raam96 New Member Member

Hi, i'm saving up for a 55 gallon tank and am wondering if a jack dempsey and an albino tiger oscar would be compatible in the tank together. i know it would be tough to keep it clean but i'd be able to keep up with it.

2. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

They are compatible, but I wouldn't advise putting them both in a 55g. That won't leave them a lot of swimming space.

For an oscar and a JD, in my opinion, a minimum 75g would be a good size tank for swimming space. Granted, that's just my opinion.

Let's see what other responses you get to help you make your final decision.

3. OP
    OP
    r

raam96 New Member Member

well i've been doing research and i'm kinda thinking against the oscar. i still want the JD for sure tho. would a JD and my pleco in my 20 gallon (supposed to grow to 16") be ok? if not what else could i have. i really want a JD and possibly one other fish with him.

4. bolivianbaby

The common plecos that grow to 16" need a minimum of 55g. JD's also require a minimum of 55g.

With my JD's, I've kept (successfully) convicts, rainbow cichlids and an RTS. I'm also keeping salvini cichlids with a non-spawning pair of JD's, but this is new, so I can't say it's been successful yet.

Blue acara and firemouths are also two species that I've heard are compatible with JD's.

I'd advise saving up for the 55g tank, though. That will be a wonderful habitat for your JD and you can research species you'd like to keep him/her with.

Since you mentioned saving up for the tank, don't forget Craigslist is an excellent source for less expensive tanks.:)

5. OP
    OP
    r

raam96 New Member Member

thanks bolivianbaby.

6. bolivianbaby

Anytime:)

7. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I have an Oscar & JD. They are both about 5" long right now. They dont' chase each other around the tank, but hey do go mouth to mouth with each other with their mouths wide open.

I would suggest a bigger tank.

8. blueiristyson

blueiristyson Valued Member Member

Yeah alot of tank space is very important for two cichlids that get 10 in +

9. Hendrix Fish

Hendrix Fish Valued Member Member

Hahahaha, sorry I was just looking up an answer (I know this thread was from a while ago) and this guy said a Dempsey needs 714 gallons :D.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice