Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Jack Dempsey And Green Terror Cichlid Question

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by BrookeScott, Mar 26, 2019.

1. BrookeScottNew MemberMember

Hey everyone, I have a female green terror and a male jack dempsey in a 50 gallon tank. They are pretty good sized. I also have a young male GT and a medium sized female jack dempsey. But my question is are they fighting or trying to pair up? The female GT and the male JD that is. They are lip locking and doing the mating dance. I have seen them do this once before when I didnt have the other to fish in the tank with them but they stop when I add the other two. But they are back at it again and this time they dont seem to be letting it go. They have been lip locked and dancing for hours now and it's starting to worry me. Even if they are doing this can they even breed together? Here they are, I can also get a video if it is needed. I just need to know what to do with these two or if this is okay...? 20190326_233354.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Most likely they are fighting or establishing a 'pecking order'. You need to monitor them carefully. If it is happening every day or for prolonged periods, and either of them are becoming injured (the stronger/more aggressive can literally rip the lips off the other fish) they"ll need to be permanently separated.