J.Dempseys Just Laid Eggs - HELP!

1. nyjets420 Initiate Member

Hello,

First Post... Hope this site is helpful :) So, I have a 29 gallon set up with plenty of river rocks and hiding places (I will try to get pictures when I figure out how to do it on here) I got an adequate air pump with stone and bubble rod and medium sized gravel. I have 3 jack dempseys, one 3" (male I think) one 4" (male) and one 5" (female). The 4 n 5 were paring off for the past 2 months and FINALLY have laid eggs. They have been constantly dancing around but NEVER lip locking or anything. They lip locked the first time last night (I got video) and I thought nothing of it.

The eggs are right by the filter so I cut out a piece of panty hose and placed it around the intake. I also moved the bubble rod about 3 inches from the eggs to provide air/water flow. I noticed the eggs after the could not find the other 2 males. So I changed the water and was moving the rocks around figuring the female was bullying and they needed a new arrangement. To my surprise I picked up a rock and one of my fingers felt a real slimy surface, it was the eggs! I already changed 1/3 of the water, so I don't know if that was a bad move, but it happened. The female, being bigger was just pushing the other 2 males to the corner of the tank. This was never the case before, the breeding male (4") was SUPER dominant and brilliant with color. Now he is pale and not eating. I bought a divider and re arranged the things to allow the female to take care of the eggs herself. She is constantly fanning them and digging a HUGE ditch in the new cave I built her. Any advice??

Temp is 80*
    PH I will update tomorrow.
    Both males, although never have got along in the past... seem to be chillin together in the part I divided off for them 2/3 of the 30 gallon.
    DIET - Mostly Omega One Large Pellets Floating (never clouded water!), Mini Hikira sinking vegi cichlid pelets, Blood Worms, Mysis Shrimp, Brine Shrimp (they seem to love everything but the shrimp)

I will take pictures and post links to video. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

For your privacy your personal email address has been removed from your post. Once you have pictures/video available, please attach to this thread for the members to view.

Good luck with your spawn!

3. nyjets420 Initiate Member

by the way... Why did the female take over the eggs and scare the male. he seems to have gone from King of the Hill to a wimp. Is it normal for the female (larger) to be the only one tending to the eggs?

4. Jeffcameron Member Member

Yes my female JD keeps the male away when eggs become wrigglers. She is an inch smaller too. She'll allow him back after a while and he helps with the feeding of fry when they're free swimming.
    I'd be more concerned with the 2nd male JD because in a 29G there is a good chance he'll get bullied to death by the breeding pair eventually. If it were me I'd re-home him.

As for the fry I've had more success taking them out when they become free swimming and raising separately. You'll have to do this if you keep the 3rd JD cause he'll do his best to eat them. Even the parents will eventually eat the fry especially when they spawn again.

Good luck :)

5. nyjets420 Initiate Member

awesome, thanks! I divided the tank so the 2 males are together and they both have a place to hide. They are not bothering each other and the female is just minding her business on the other side. Ill def relocate if things get bad. Also, what should I do with the fry if and when they become an 1" big or so? Do fish stores pay anything worth some time over?

6. Jeffcameron Member Member

I live in Australia so not sure if same applies where you're from but yes my LFS will give me store credit once they get to 3-4cm long.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore! welcomehiya.gif

Best wishes for many healthy fry!

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

8. nyjets420 Initiate Member

Okay so I woke up this morning to find all the eggs (but the dead ones) stripped from the rock they were laid on. There were a whole bunch of little furry shaking eggs and I went out for 30 minutes. Came back, all gone. The only one who had access to them was the female. Should I assume she ate them?