10 Gallon Tank Ivory White Mystery Snail?

Bettafishgal

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just bought one Ivory white mystery snail for my new 10 gal, which a betta will be going in. My question is

1. My betta' is almost done with finrot and im just making sure that when i add him and if it's not fully cured will the snail get hurt from it?

2. I bought "API Algae Eater Wafers" for my snails, how many would they get per week/day?

3. My tank is not cycled and it was sorta of a emergency because the care they were in was terrible, would it be okay to add them?

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Howdy!
1) The snail cannot contract your betta's fin rot. I would be more concerned about whatever caused the fin rot in the first place (poor water parameters?) or any medication you used (do 1-2 large WCs to remove it before adding the snail).
2) This varies from snail to snail... my recommendation would be to feed 1 wafer and see how long he takes to finish it. if it takes >2 days, remove any excess only feed half a wafer next time. eventually you want to get to the point where the snail finishes any food in <1 day and you can drop in more food every other day. Also keep in mind your betta may want to eat the wafer too, and that a varied diet (that includes protein) is healthier for the snail.
3) I would cycle your tank first, but it is better to keep the snail in an uncycled tank than in an unfiltered bowl. Just keep an eye on your parameters and do frequent WCs until the tank is cycled

dalton12

Valued Member
Reaction score
Too cycle the tank faster you could add filter media from another cycled tank. You could also try some bacteria starter. I would try to hold off putting the betta in for as kind as possible.

The snail shouldn’t get hurt from finrot because it’s a snail, but I have never been in that situation so I’m not sure

Bettafishgal

Valued Member
Reaction score
Too cycle the tank faster you could add filter media from another cycled tank. You could also try some bacteria starter. I would try to hold off putting the betta in for as kind as possible.

The snail shouldn’t get hurt from finrot because it’s a snail, but I have never been in that situation so I’m not sure
Not adding the betta until it's done cycling because he's in a filtered and heated 2 gal rn , just talking about the snails.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom